List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1378141

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityNewdigate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290283

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWDIGATE C.P. CHURCH ROAD TQ 14SE 8/168 Church of St. Peter 11/11/66 II*

Church. C12 and C13 with C15 belfry and north aisle of 1877, restored in C19. Sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings, snecked sandstone on vestry. Weatherboarded tower. Horsham slab roofs with wood-shingled broach spire. Nave and pentice aisle to south, flat-roofed aisle to north. Chancel to east with vestry to north, square-tower to west and porch to south. C19 fenestration on nave and aisles, of two and three foiled-head lights. Perpendicular style tracery window on east end of north aisle, 3-light trefoil-head, ogee hood mould tracery on west window. C13 lancet fenestration on chancel to north and south, two-light C13 window to south. East window of 1876-7 following earlier design with three- stepped lancets under common relieving arch. Offset tower to west with offsets hipped. One 3-light square-paned window on north and south sides to base. Double doors to west in 16-centre arched head under 5-light, fixed, diamond-mullioned window. Broach spire above. Gabled south porch and double doors. Priest door to south side of chancel. Interior:- C15 bellcage to west with double scissor type bracing to chamfered main posts, on all sides. Two bay round pier arcades with ten-sided caps and half- round pier responds to south. North aisle roof on corbelled eaves, panelled chancel roof in dog-tooth cornice band. Fittings. C14 round-head piscina in south wall of chancel. C15 ogee-head piscina in south aisle. Old west gallery front of 1627 now set up under tower. 5-bay screen with quatrefoil and foliage tracery. Late C19 stone font on octagonal stem. Octagonal bowl over. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.382. V.C.H. SURREY VOL III (1967 Edn).

Listing NGR: TQ1976442059

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Malden, H E - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Surrey - Date: 1902 - Volume: 3
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 382

National Grid Reference: TQ 19764 42059

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 11:54:03.