List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1378100

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, HORSHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityHolmwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD

7/93 Church of St Mary Magdalene

The list description should be amended to read:-

Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, Mr J B Watson, the gift of Mrs Arnold. Chancel added in 1842 by J Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly by J P Harrison. Tower added in 1850 and South aisle by St Aubyn completed in 1863. Sandstone blocks on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, all under plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave with chancel to east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses between each stage on North and South faces only. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated style window to west face of lower stage. Three trefoil-head and roundel windows to south aisle on sill course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice roofed north aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Bellcote on roof at junction of nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with hood moulding and foliage or stops to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door. Interior:- Round pier arcades with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade, half-octagonal responds to east ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double row of windbraces above. Chamfered and corbelled tower arch seimi-circular responds on chancel arch.

Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded and gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east-window. C19 and early C20 panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth. Octagonal, plain tub front on squat multi-shaft stem.

Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr G Rennie on west wall. Bridge building and designer. 0

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.137

------------------------------------

HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD TQ 14SE Church of St Mary 7/93 Magdalene

II

Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, by J. B, Watson, the gift of Mrs Arnold. Nave added in 1842 by J. Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly by J. P. Harrison. Tower added in 1850 and South aisle completed in 1863. Sand- stone blocks on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, all under plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses between each stage. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated style window to west face of lower stage. Two trefoil-head and roundel windows to south on sill course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice roofed north aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel with lancet windows below, flat roofed vestry to north side of chancel in the angle with the north aisle. Bell- cote on roof at junction of nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with hood moulding and foliage steps to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door. Interior:- Round pier arcades with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade, half-octagonal responds to ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double row of windbraces above. Chamfered and corbelled tower arch, semi-circular responds on chancel arch. Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded and gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east window. C19 Early C20 panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth. Octagonal, plain tub font on squat multi-shaft stem. Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr J. Rennie on west wall. Bridge builder arid designer.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.317.

Listing NGR: TQ1719744804

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 137

National Grid Reference: TQ 17197 44804

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:02:49.