List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1378082

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ABINGER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict AuthorityAbinger

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABINGER C.P. ABINGER LANE TQ 14NW

4/3 Church of St. James 11/11/66

GV II*

Church. Nave early C12 (V.C.H.) with chancel rebuilt c1220 and north chapel of similar date. Vestry, organ bay and south porch added in restoration of 1857, bombed in 1939-1945 World War and restored in 1950 by Frederick Etchells. Bargate rubble, once colourwashed and now rendered on chancel chapel, ashlar dressings to angles and plain tiled roofs. Horsham slab roof over porch and wood shingles on bell tower and spire. Nave and chancel with chancel chapel to the north, vestry, organ bay and porch to south and bellcote to west end. One 2-light, louvred opening in each face of bellcote, broach spire above. Off- set buttressing to nave. Renewed round-arch lancet fenestration on south side with late C15, square-headed, 3 trefoil-light window on east. Lancet fenestration on north side of nave over flat roofed vestry addition with leaded fenestration. Three lancets on south side of chancel, one to the east of buttress over offset, one round-arched casement window to end. C19 stepped window to east. Three C13 lancet windows to east end of chapel with chamfered rear arches, three further lancets on north side, alternating with two offset buttresses and with external rebates. Door to west end of north wall of chapel in Horsham slab pentice porch with outer order of jamb shafts under foliate caps and inner raised zig-zag order. South door: recut surround to ribbed and studded double doors. Interior - simple. Stone floor. Whitewashed walls and panelled roof with moulded wall plates. Braced frame to west end supporting bellcote. Three bay arcade between chancel and north chapel on round piers and half pier responds. C20 fittings including octagonal font on round centre stem. Monument:- Dedicated to Alistair Mackenzie 1910 by Albert Tolt. Art nouveau style wall tablet. The church forms part of a group with the stocks and memorial around the Green.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1977) & V.C.H. (1967 Ed) VOL III pp 133-4.

Listing NGR: TQ1149445957

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 133-4
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11494 45957

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:24:46.