List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1377918

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, QUARRY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289077

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUILDFORD QUARRY STREET SU 99 49SE (West Side) Church of St. Mary 8/210 1/5/53 GV I

Church. Pre-conquest tower, circa 1040, with Norman transepts, circa 1100, length- ened into apsidal chapels in circa 1180. Nave arcades circa 1170-1180, with aisles widened in C13 and re-roofed in C15. Majority of windows inserted in C14, chancel apse removed in 1825 and church restored by T. Goodchild in 1882. Flint and chalk rubble with clunch dressings, the clunch replaced by Bargate stone on the tower parapet. Plain tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower, truncated chancel with apsidal chapels on north and south to east, aisled nave to west with porch to north. Triple gabled west end flanked by angle buttresses and with apex crucifix on centre gable. C19 trefoil windows in outer gables; foiled 3-light and roundel window in north gable over lower square window below. Decorated style four-light and mouchette window in south gable of west end, with chalk-dressed niche below. Double doors to centre in deep surround and under hood moulding. South Side:- Lancet windows in aisle alternate with offset buttresses; 3-light C19 window to west and two 3-light windows on south chancel chapel with buttress between; stair-vice to end of south aisle. East End:- Apsidal chancel chapels flank central gabled chancel with diamond panel and roundel over large 5 cinquefoil-light east window. North Side:- Decorated style chancel chapel window of three lights breaking through string course with oval tracery in upper lights; triple ogee-head window in chamfered surround adjoining. Lancet fenestration in chamfered surround to north aisle with end buttresses flanking. C19 timber framed and flint porch with scalloped bargeboards to gable and ogee-tracery leaded glazing on sides to west end of north side. North door C13, with three orders of Sussex marble shafts on double roll bases and under moulded bell caps. Arch moulded in rolls and hollows, one with triple fillet the other with keeled moulding. Tower:- Three-stage tower with thin pilaster strip buttresses on lower stages. Battlemented parapet and some tile-on- edge quoining above. Scrolled gilt wrought-iron finial above with crowning weather- vane. Clock faces on north and south sides; lancet window to east and two trefoil- head lights to north. Interior:- Four-bay nave arcades on round piers with half-pier responds and pointed arches of square section with hollow chamfer on north arcade, keeled roll-moulding to south. Capitals on north arcade, with exception of middle one, are square with scalloped decoration encircled with spirals, nail head, dogtooth and hollow chamfers and grooved abaci. thick wooden wall plate on corbels above the arcade with collared- rafter roof over nave. Roofs over aisles have chamfered and braced 4-centre arched tie-beams on corbelled wall plate,with mouchette style piercing in spandrels and floral decoration on corbels. Crossing displays earliest work in Church, approached up 5 steps from the nave. Massive attached semi-circular responds attached to west piers of crossing, under scalloped capitals, with western arch decorated with roll moulding between. Smaller arches to north and south sides, early Norman with impost courses, double-splayed Saxon windows and pilaster strips above. Flat roof over crossing itself. Further three steps up to chancel, with flanking chapels, to east. Chancel:- Vault of two bays, circa 1220, that to east 2 feet narrower on transverse arch of one order rising from attached wall shafts comprising 3 smaller shafts, the central one keeled in section, with plain bell caps. Main rib on east wall rests on pairs of shafts on pointed corbel; diagonal ribs to quadripartite vault have hollow chamfer between roll mouldings, the hollow chamfer of the western bay decorated with a dog tooth band. Central floral bosses to vaults. Blocked lancet windows in deep reveals on the east side of the main transverse arch, two round-headed windows in deep reveals on north and south sides of east bays now looking through to flanking chapels. Two bay braced collared-rafter roof over north and south chapels with thick vaulting ribs running against the entrance arches and some scissor bracing in the chapel of St. John. North Chancel Chapel:- Entrance arch with flattened responds, caps scalloped and abaci grooved and chamfered. Three windows, the middle one of 3-lights, the northern one C14 and of 2 lights. Early C14 north window, next to the apse, of 3 ogee lights, cinquefoil and with quatrefoils over in square head. South Chancel Chapel (St. Mary's Chapel):- Entrance arch on square jambs with small engaged half-round shafts on moulded bases, moulded bell caps above with grooved and hollow chamfered abaci. Two lancet windows, that to east original, that to south raised in C13. Over north jamb of tower arch is late C15 door to rood loft. Fittings:- Piscina in South Chancel Chapel with aumbry/paten place above under trefoil head and with round bowl projecting. Square recess on north aisle wall (aumbry?), piscina on south aisle wall with mutilated boss and small credence shelf over. C19 chalk and grey marble Victorian Gothic pulpit with dog-tooth mouldings, floral carving and hexagonal body on centre stem; each face of the pulpit pierced by a two-light and foiled roundel opening. Chalk font with square plinth and bowl on centre stem and surrounding angle piers with scalloped caps. Hatchment over North door 1707. Part of C15 reredos from the south chapel made up into organ case. Wall paintings - All over the north chancel chapel apse; recorded in C19 but now largely gone, some traces of painting survive on soffit of entrance arch to Chapel. Stained glass:- West window of north aisle by the Royal Bavarian Art Institute for Stained Glass circa 1850. The church tower is the most important structural pre-conquest work remaining in Surrey. As Guildford was a popular Royal abode in the C12 and C13 the church was used for Royal worship and Thomas Becket may have celebrated Mass here. The Reverend Charles Dodgeson (Lewis Carroll) also preached at St. Mary's.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.273-4. V.C.H. (1967 Edn) VOL. III pp.563-7. V.C.H. (1911 Edn) VOL. II p.447, sketch p.446. P; M. JOHNSTON: SCHEDULED ANTIQUITIES OF SURREY 1913 E. J. CARLOS: ARCHAEOLOGY (27) 1838 pp.413-4 (description of Paintings).

Listing NGR: SU9961449344

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1905), 446 447
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 563-567
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 273-274
Carlos, E J , 'Archaeology' in Archaeology, , Vol. 27, (1838), 413-414
Other
PM Johnston, Schedule of Surrey Antiquities, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SU 99614 49344

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:15:54.