List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

List entry Number: 1377883

Location

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, STAG HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289097

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUILDFORD STAG HILL SU 95SE (East Side) 1/230 Cathedral Church of 16/1/81 the Holy Spirit

II*

Cathedral Church. Designed in 1932/3 by Edward Maufe, foundation stone laid in 1936. Eastern section to crossing completed in 1939, second stage begun in 1948 with the nave inaugurated by 1955; the Cathedral was consecrated in 1961, the chapter house finished in 1964 and the western garths completed in 1964/5. Modified gothic style with Arts and Crafts influences. Cruciform plan around a central crossing tower with half-octagonal end to Lady Chapel at east flanked by a sacristy and chapterhouse; aisled nave to west with projecting garths to north and south sides of the west end. Central tower has rebated angles and is crowned by a large gilt statue of an angel. Further stone sculptures placed on top of angle mouldings. Two-light, stone-dressed louvred openings on each face at bell stage with five pairs of small rectangular windows above under plain parapet. Balcony projections on each face, below louvred openings,with corbelled brick balustrades across in front of door in central 4-step brick surround and under cross-shaped keystone. Transepts to north (Queens Chapel) and south each with three 2-light, stone-dressed windows on east and west sides. Tall 4-light end windows in deep recesses with cross pattern tracery above. Paired double doors of bronze, designed by Maufe but executed by Vernon Hill, either side of central buttress pier on south transept, pier crowned by a figure of St. John the Baptist by Eric Gill. West front flanked by projecting garths, each with cambered cement hood over pointed-arched entrances to cloister walks, with carved keystones and cross decorations on capitals of cloister piers. Three lancet windows on west end in deep surrounds with piers alternating on stone buttress plinths. Three paired doors of bronze and glass, engraved by John Hutton. 7 bay north and south aisles with 2-light, stone-dressed arched windows with Christian virtues carved on central mullions. Low aisle-like church offices flank chancel with 4 leaded windows in stone surrounds to each. Bronze door on south aisle approached up a flight of steps. Roundel window in east gable of chancel with figure of Christ in Majesty by Anthony Forster to a design of Eric Gill. Angled east end of Lady Chapel with lancet fenestration alternating with offset buttresses crowned by statues of the Archangel Gabriel by Alan Collins, St Martha and St Catherine also by Collins, St Cecilia and Lady Margaret Beaufort by Dennis Huntley. Interior:- austere plain interior with white plaster rendering and Doulting lime- stone dressings to narrow deep window splays. Narrow high-vaulted aisles supported on piers without capitals, transverse arches crossing the vaults. Ambulatory beyond crossing with knife point arches. Octagonal chapter house parquet floored. Symbolism of plan:- The baptistry in the south garth at one of the south aisle and the ciborium at the east end of the aisle symbolises the Christian life from birth to death. Fittings:- 1950's Maufe designed lamps and narthex carpet. Octagonal font in baptistry under open fret-work gilt font cover of interlocking dove pattern. Fish and water carvings on font bowl, coloured marble flooring. Only the third Anglican Cathedral built in England since the C17.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.269-70.

Listing NGR: SU9853850044

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 269-270

National Grid Reference: SU 98538 50044

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:32:24.