List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FELBRIDGE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1377602

Location

FELBRIDGE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyTandridgeDistrict AuthorityFelbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 287528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 33 NE FELBRIDGE CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD Felbridge County Primary School 12/277 II

School. 1783, founded by James Evelyn; extended in 1934. Flemish bond red brick with some burnt headers on ground floor and tile-hung timber frame first floor. Plain tile roof with gabled and half-hipped ends. Brick axial stack.

3-room lobby entrance plan; the former kitchen at centre and small teacher's parlour on right heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial stack which forms entrance lobby at front. The left hand room was the classroom (now kitchen). 3 rooms on first floor. The C20 stair wing at back probably replaces the original stair outshut and dates from circa 1934 when a large extension was built on left (west).

2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south east front. Ground floor cambered arch window openings. 2 3-light leaded-pane casements on left and 12-pane sash on right. 3 small 2-light casements on first floor. Doorway to right of centre with C20 panelled and glazed door and C20 hipped roof open porch. Depressed 2-centred arch window on right hand (north east) end with 2-light casements with Y-bars and leaded panes. Short hipped roof wing at rear. Large 1934 extension attached on left extending to rear.

Interior: Ground floor central room (original kitchen) has chamfered cross-beam without stops and large brick fireplace with big unchamfered timber lintel. Small right hand room (parlour) has C20 brick fireplace. First floor has roughly chamfered cross-beams with run-out stops and exposed wall-plate. C20 staircase and C20 roof structure.

Note: In 1783 James Evelyn (descendant of John Evelyn, the Diarist) "chose a large house at Hedgecourt Common - arranging for 1½ acres around it to be enclosed and used as a school". The school opened on 4 November 1783 and was for 8 boys and 4 girls.

Sources: G Williams, The Village School (1983). Report by P J Gray.

Listing NGR: TQ3680339676

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Williams, G - Title: The Village School - Date: 1983

National Grid Reference: TQ 36803 39676

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:03:57.