List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH AT COUNTESS OF CHESTER HOSPITAL 200 METRES SOUTH WEST OF 1829 BLOCK

List entry Number: 1376818

Location

CHURCH AT COUNTESS OF CHESTER HOSPITAL 200 METRES SOUTH WEST OF 1829 BLOCK, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityUpton-by-Chester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NW UPTON BY CHESTER LIVERPOOL ROAD (West side)

313/5/10000 Church at Countess of Chester Hospital 200m SW of 1829 block

- II

Church. 1856. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and steep pitched roof with octagonal slates. Early English style. Plinth, small buttresses, moulded eaves, coped gables. Chancel, vestries, nave with bellcote, porches. Openings are sharply pointed, with hood moulds. Windows are mainly single lancets with deeply splayed reveals. Chancel, single bay, has angle buttresses and a 3-light east window. Towards the east end, a single lancet on each side. Vestries have rebuilt square gable stacks. To east, a quatrefoil window, to north and south, a door. Nave, 6 bays, has buttressed gabled porches to north and south. West end has a slightly projecting centre with sill band, containing a tall window, 2 lights. Above this, a gabled bellcote with blocked openings, and containing a clock. On either side, a single lancet. Interior, rendered and painted, has pointed arched openings with hood moulds. Chancel has moulded arch, flanked to left by a door and to right by a small organ case. Plain matchboard ceiling with cornice. East window has stained glass dated 1885. Nave has common rafter roof with intersecting arch braces and king post. At the west end, a tall recess containing a large traceried panelled wooden cabinet with attached bench. The cabinet contains a clock mechanism dated 1856, by Joyce of Whitchurch. At the top of the cabinet is a small clock dial. Fittings include an octagonal wooden pulpit, possibly original, altered mid C20. Other fittings mid C20.



Listing NGR: SJ3995668580

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 39956 68580

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:54:00.