List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1376567

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, BERMONDSEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470571

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3379 BERMONDSEY STREET 636-1/5/46 (East side) 06/12/49 Church of St Mary Magdalene

GV II*

Church. 1675-9, incorporating C15 tower, remodelled C19. By Charles Stanton. Lower stages of west tower C15 (now obscured), upper part of tower rebuilt and front remodelled 1830, George Porter; chancel lengthened, 1883. MATERIALS: stucco with slate roof. PLAN: nave with aisles of differing widths (semicircular gable extension to south aisle), tower over western entrance. Chancel an extension of nave, vestry an extension of north aisle. EXTERIOR: west front: remodelled in playful Gothick style with crenellated parapets to 1st stage of tower and side aisle lean-to roofs. Tower has pinnacles and upper stage with tiny lantern surmounting 4 gables. Tudor arches to doors to nave and aisles, pointed arches to traceried windows above, all with hood moulds. INTERIOR: retains late C17 character: closed narthex at west end with stairs leading to galleries. 4-bay, groin-vaulted nave with crossing in 2nd bay from west. Shallow vaults north and south of crossing, suggesting transepts, the southern one extended south of south aisle wall. Flat aisle ceilings. Chancel of 2 bays with coffered barrel vault. Arcade of giant Tuscan columns supporting entablature. Gallery around 3 sides on slender wooden composite columns, panelled and with carved cornice having angel heads over columns. South gallery (added in 1794) set further back into aisle with area below now screened off to create separate room. Round-arched windows with leaded lights, that to south transept very large with Gothick tracery. FITTINGS: organ in west gallery, case of 1750. Carved reredos with angel heads and garlands (reassembled). 2 brass candelabra dated 1699 and 1703 in nave. Large window in east wall of chancel with stained glass of 1883. MONUMENTS: large monument, 1681 to William Casteil: black and white marble on heavy scrolled brackets, with columns, broken pediment and cresting; and another large monument to the Browning family, 1758. The medieval parish church of Bermondsey, it forms a group with No.191 (qv). (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: London 2: South: 1983-: 599-600).





Listing NGR: TQ3331179459

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bridget, C and Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: London 2: South - Date: 1994 - Page References: 599-600

National Grid Reference: TQ 33311 79459

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 06:50:45.