List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE EASTGATE AND CLOCK

List entry Number: 1376249

Location

THE EASTGATE AND CLOCK, EASTGATE STREET AND ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470243

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE EASTGATE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/168 The Eastgate and Clock 28/07/55 (Formerly Listed as: The Eastgate)

GV I

Archway in place of former gatehouse. 1768-9. Probably by Hayden or Heyden, Surveyor of Buildings for Lord Grosvenor; at the expense of Richard Lord Grosvenor. Surmounted by wrought-iron clock tower 1899 by John Douglas, at the expense of Colonel Edward Evans-Lloyd and public subscription. Red sandstone. Basket carriage archway with rusticated jambs and voussoirs; a small round pedestrian arch of smooth stone to each side; to north a segmental half-arch used as a shop since 1884. Arms of the County Palatine, sword of justice and 3 sheaves, on the inner keystone; frieze-band inscribed THIS GATE BEGUN MDCCLXVIII JOHN KELSAL ESQ. MAYOR: FINISHED MDCCLXIX CHA. BOSWELL ESQ. MAYOR; arms of Richard Lord Grosvenor with motto NOBILITATE VIRTUS NON STEMMA CHARACTER on outer keystone; frieze band inscribed ERECTED AT THE EXPENSE OF RICHARD LORD GROSVENOR A.D. MDLXIX. A modillion cornice on each face; ornate wrought-iron railings, 1899, to Wall walk. Ornate wrought-iron pavilion with round arch to each face supported on open-work wrought-iron pylons and "buttresses" carries 4-dial clock by WB Joyce of Whitchurch. The plinth to the clock is inscribed THIS CLOCK TOWER WAS ERECTED IN COMMEMORATION OF THE 60TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF VICTORIA, QUEEN AND EMPRESS (east); ANTIQUI COLANT ANTIQUUM DIERUM: B.C. ROBERTS, MAYOR 1897; J.C. HOLMES, MAYOR 1898 (west); THIS CLOCK WAS ERECTED BY EDWARD EVANS-LLOYD CITIZEN AND FREEMAN

1897 (south) and ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION & COMPLETED A.D. 1899 H. STOLTEFORTH MAYOR (north); beneath each clock face 18:97, gilt; filigree corner panels; above each clockface V.R., gilt; cupola roof of copper surmounted by weathervane with lions rampant or on gules ground. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Assembly minutes leave some doubt as to the architect of this item. The Corporation demolished the old gatehouse and were to have financed the new arch. The Assembly first employed a Mr Turner of Hawarden to prepare plans and estimates; he was Joseph Turner, later resident in Chester and architect of the Watergate and the Bridgegate. The relevant entries in the Assembly minutes are: 2/10/1767 The Eastgate, building and premises adjoining,



belonging to the Corporation are to be surveyed by Mr. Turner of Hawarden... He is to draw a plan of the proposed new buildings and an estimate of their expense and of taking down the old Gate and building, to be laid before the next Assembly. 22/2/1768 Mr Hayden, surveyor at the building of Lord Grosvenor is to be desired to draw a plan of a new arch to be erected over the Eastgate for the next Assembly. 29/2/1768 The gateway with an arch giving passage over the walls according to Mr Hayden's plan, now subscribed by the Mayor, is to be erected... 22/3/1768 The Corporation is to tender fifteen guineas to Mr. Turner of Hawarden as satisfaction for his plans, estimates and expenses for rebuilding the Eastgate, but if he refused to accept the sum and commenced a suit against the Treasurers for recovery of any money for his plans, etc, the Town Clerk was to defend it at the Corporation's expense. 17/1/1772 It was ordered that five guineas be paid to Mr. Heyden as a compliment for his trouble in supervising the new construction of the Eastgate... elegantly completed at the sole expense of the Lord Grosvenor. (Chester City Assembly: Assembly Book: 1725-1775: 1767,68,72; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-: 54).







Listing NGR: SJ4071166343

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harris, B, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in Chester, (1979), 54

National Grid Reference: SJ 40711 66343

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 05:18:06.