List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 33 STREET NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

List entry Number: 1376236

Location

3, ST WERBURGH STREET
NUMBER 33 STREET NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 33, EASTGATE STREET AND ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470230

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE EASTGATE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/161 (North side) 23/05/67 No.33 Street (National Westminster Bank) (Formerly Listed as: EASTGATE STREET (North side) No.33) (Formerly Listed as: ST WERBURGH STREET No.3 Westminster Chambers)

GV II*

Includes: No.3 ST WERBURGH STREET. Bank, Dixons or Parrs, now National Westminster. 1859-60. By George Williams. Yellow sandstone; roof concealed. EXTERIOR: a symmetrical facade of 3 storeys, correctly composed and detailed. The rusticated first storey has a high pierced plinth between 2 porches with round archways: that to the east, the main entrance, has shaped double 3-panel doors; that to the west, a little narrower, leads by 13 stone steps to the east end of the Row. The upper storeys are set back behind a 4 column Corinthian blank portico; containing 3 tall 2-pane unequal sashes with architraves and pediments on consoles to the second storey, a third storey sillband and three 2-pane sashes in architraves. One window-bay to each side of the portico has similar sashes to each storey, under a straight cornice on consoles to the second storey and with architraves to the third storey. Modillion cornices to pediment and eaves; panelled parapet with vase-balusters; attic course above pediment. The east side to St Werburgh Street is more simply expressed. The first storey has the rusticated east side of the entrance porch, a lateral chimney with a round arch on brackets above a small-pane window at its base and 3 triplets of round-arched small-pane windows with radial-bar fans to the banking hall. The second storey has a floor-string and 8 unevenly-spaced recessed sashes, 3 of 8 panes and 5 of 12 panes, in eared architraves. The third storey has 3 recessed 8-pane sashes and, in the lower northern portion, 5 shorter 9-pane sashes above the 12-pane sashes of the second storey; cornice returned from the Eastgate Street frontage. The northernmost bay, formerly No.3 St Werburgh Street, Westminster Chambers, is probably 1867-8 by John Douglas,



designed in conjunction with No.31 Eastgate Street and 25 Eastgate Street Row (qv) in Vernacular Revival style, of red sandstone and timber frame with plaster panels with grey-green slate roof, gable to street. The first storey of sandstone has a 3-light mullioned and transomed leaded casement under a label-mould and a 12-panel door with overlight in Tudor-arched surround with carved spandrels and lable. Stone brackets to timber-framed second storey with close studding and one rail at transom-level of the 6-light mullioned and leaded casement; a small leaded casement at each corner beneath the boldly jettied third storey which has close studding with carved braces and shaped panel-heads and two 3-light leaded casements. The gable, like the third storey, is jettied on 2 shaped brackets; panelled herringbone strutting; moulded bargeboards. The attribution to John Douglas is tentative; he negotiated with Chester City Council to set a building line back in St Werburgh Street in exchange for permission to jetty the verge at the same time that he submitted plans for rebuilding for James Dickson of, probably, No.31 Eastgate Street/25 Row which abutted the yard of No.3 St Werburgh Street. INTERIOR: the banking hall has a richly panelled ceiling supported by four Ionic Columns; the secondary entrance is through No.3 St Werburgh Street; the upper storeys are stated to be modernised internally. (Improvement Committee Minutes: Chester City Council: 14/6/1867).



Listing NGR: SJ4063466342

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40634 66342

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 02:55:44.