List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL

List entry Number: 1376148

Location

CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL, BISHOPS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuryMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470140

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 80 SW BISHOPS ROAD

326/10/10039 Church of St Gabriel

II

Church. 1932-3 by Isaac Taylor and W Cecil Young. Brown Blockley brick, Westmorland slate roofs. Squat (liturgical) west tower with set backs and hipped roof, with single-storey north chapel (former children's corner) and south porch; "basilica" plan has eight-bay nave with clerestory windows; short sanctuary; one-storey north vestry and south sacristy linked by a corridor with east door. Elegant use of brickwork and stepped massing. Architectural and decorative detailing includes: upright stretcher and header courses of brickwork for chamfered plinth, door heads, window heads and sills. The west end has panelled doors flanked by shallow pilasters with tapering moulded finials; circular windows above between shallow clasping buttresses; stepped belfry stage with squat louvred openings. The hipped roof is surmounted by a plain cross. Square four-by-four pane windows to nave clerestory and vestry, some with central six panes pivotted, in metal frames, and with shallow buttresses between. Smaller windows to vestries in same manner. Circular windows to chancel. Interior is long and narrow, with white walls and open timber roof to nave, having king posts with splayed braces. Round arch to sanctuary, which has flat painted and gilded ceiling. The nave has always had rush- seated chairs, but at the cast end there are handsome choir stalls and pulpit designed by the architects, of timber and combining solid arts and crafts workmanship with C17 elements, reflecting the C17 style treatment of the west door. Sanctuary with Ancaster stone pavement and steps. Panelling with similar finials at cast end, above which the large painted crucifix is part of the original composition. Children's corner remodelled as Lady Chapel in 1952, with stained glass window. West end of nave now truncated by one bay, with full-height wall incorporating original gallery front, with late C20 doors below. Behind this a low ceiling has been inserted. 1934 font with Ancaster stone tulip shaped bowl on chamfered based with carved wave motif below the rim and a wooden lid. Taylor and Young were the most significant church practice to work in the Manchester area in the inter-war years and their churches are powerful compositions that make the best of limited budgets. St Gabriel's is a carefully considered amalgam of C17 brick and timber motifs within a massing derived from contemporary Dutch and North German sources that make for a fine, distinctive composition. It is one of the firm's finest churches. Sources Incorporated Church Building Society, New Churches Illustrated, 1936

Listing NGR: SD8252102730

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Incorporated Church Building Society, , New Churches Illustrated, (1936)

National Grid Reference: SD 82521 02730

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:21:45.