List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY

List entry Number: 1376144

Location

HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY, RAILTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470136

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3174 RAILTON ROAD 963/23/10067 Herne Hill Railway Station, Entrance Block only

II

Railway station building. 1862, for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. London stock brick with white al red brick decorations and a Welsh slate roof. The railway runs on a viaduct at this point and the platfoms are at first floor level. Entrance block: Two storey block, six windows in width, with a three storey tow on the left and a two storey wing on the right, both set back slightly. White banding to the brickwork and red dressings to the window heads which also have white keystones. The main block has replacement sash windows, arranged 2+2+2, the "central pair being both smaller and closer together. All the windows have pointed heads. Central entrance on the ground floor, which has paired arched doorways with replacement joinery. The entrance has a timber canopy on three carved brackets and with a fretted valance. Hipped roof over the main block with a chimney to the right. The tower has an entrance door on the ground floor leading to a subway under the tracks, paired recesses as the windows on the first floor, and arcading on the upper floor which continues on all faces pyramid roof above with a secondary chimney. The wing to the right has a single window above a shop, lean-to roof. Interior: The booking hall and the staircase have been recased in modern materials. Upper floors not available for inspection. Platform elevation: This is single storey with all openings blocked as the platform has not been in use for many years. The wall is panelled with all the previous openings still expressed. A hipped platform canopy with slate roof still survives. The two island platforms currently in use were reconstructed with buildings and steel canopies the early C20. History: This station was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and was opened to traffic on 25 August 1862. The consulting engineer to the railway was Joseph Cubitt. The Company was amalgamated with the South Eastern Railway in 1898 to become the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and became a constituent of the Southern railway in 1923.



Listing NGR: TQ3195074400

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31950 74400

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 05:13:08.