List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HERTAGE CENTRE

List entry Number: 1376107

Location

HERTAGE CENTRE, BRIDGE STREET AND ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470097

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE BRIDGE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/80 (East side) 28/07/55 Heritage Centre (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET (East side) Church of St Michael (no longer in ecclesiastical use))

GV II

Parish Church of St Michael, now Heritage Centre. C15, 1496, 1678 and 1849-50, stripped of furnishings 1972-5. By James Harrison. The stonework is largely 1849-50; yellow sandstone with grey slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and former vestry. EXTERIOR: the south end of the Bridge Street Row passes through the open first stage of the tower, also serving as the west porch, with stone steps up to the main Row north and down to the pavement, south. The buttresses are octagonal to the first stage, diagonal to the second stage and clasping to the third stage; a string course at each stage; the second stage has a 2-light window with simple tracery to each face; a rectangular loop above the north window, a clock-face west and a blank clock-face panel south; the third stage has a paired bell-opening under an ogee hood to each face, a course of carved panels and a stringcourse with gargoyles under a crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles; a wind vane. The west window to the north aisle has 2 lights with simple tracery; the diagonally-boarded pair of oak west doors have ornate wrought-iron hinges. The south side of the nave has one 2-light and two 3-light traceried windows; the chancel has two 2-light traceried windows. The east end has a diagonally-boarded oak door on wrought-iron hinges, a 4-light reticulated east window with stained glass and a 3-light window with stained glass by Clayton and Bell to the north aisle; the north face is featureless and partly built against. The walls are crenellated; the chancel's gable-coping has a finial cross; carved heads as mould-stops. The stonework and details are damaged by sandblasting c1975. INTERIOR: under repair and not fully inspected, has a C15 north arcade with octagonal piers, a chancel roof of 1496, narrower than the present building which was widened in 1678, and a monument to Roger Comberbach, 1771 by Benjamin Bromfield.





Listing NGR: SJ4058766102

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40587 66102

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 07:14:37.