List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 10 ROW COWPER HOUSE NUMBER 12 STREET

List entry Number: 1376063

Location

NUMBER 10 ROW COWPER HOUSE, 10, BRIDGE STREET AND ROW
NUMBER 12 STREET, 12, BRIDGE STREET AND ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470049

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE BRIDGE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/38 (West side) 28/07/55 No.12 Street and No.10 Row (Cowper House) (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET No.12 Street & No.10 Row (Cowper House))

GV I

Formerly known as: Nos.2 AND 4 Cowper House BRIDGE STREET ROW. Undercroft and town house, now shop. C13, C17, C19 and C20. Sandstone, timber frame with plaster panels and brick; grey slate roof. Gable to street. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys including undercroft and Row level. The undercroft shopfront is late C20; flight of 11 repaired stone steps north of shopfront to Row walk; brick pier north of steps; replaced post between steps and shopfront; posts formerly at each corner of building, now approx one metre back from encroached shopfront, with chamfered brackets and beam; C19 and C20 shaped splat brackets at front of sloping stallboard which is approx 3m from front to back; side posts at rear of stallboard are stop-chamfered at front and carry a chamfered beam; C17 joists over stallboard and Row walk; 2 diagonal beams, south, one chamfered, the other having carved face with dentils; C20 Row shopfront of wood and glass. Carved fascia above Row opening; 7-light mullioned and transomed leaded window c1870, standing proud of wall on consoles, has 3 studs with 2 intermediate rails to each side; lead rainwater pipe north has head inscribed P & E 1830; strapwork carved on jetty bressumer to fourth storey inscribed TC (for Thomas Cowper) 1664; a row of 8 round-headed panels with central oak phalluses and arches carved as if voussoirs; 2 similar panels to each side of a mullioned and transomed 5-light leaded casement, c1870, proud of the wall on consoles and projecting up into the gable which has an interrupted tie carved with vine leaves and grapes and quadrant-braced panels; carved bargeboards and finial. A brick chimney. INTERIOR: the front undercroft, its present floor 2 steps below street level, is lined, with no visible features of interest; 6 steps lead down through a mid C19 Gothic Revival stone screen with archway on colonnettes and flanking windows in C13 style, within a broad recessed arched panel, to a 6-bay quadripartite rib-vaulted rear undercroft, probably 1350-75



but possibly a little earlier; squared sandstone rubble walling; truncated-cone-shaped rib-corbels; deeply chamfered ribs; a 3-light window at the west end, formerly with trefoil heads but now heightened and with round heads; a trefoil archway in the fifth bay leads to a stone stair within the stone party wall with No.14 Street (qv), rising backward, and displaying the underside of an upper stair serving No.14. The rear undercroft was found and excavated in 1839, when the floor level may have been lower approx 0.6m. The front undercroft is not capable of interpretation in its present form, but investigation of other undercrofts in the Rows suggest it may be earlier than the rear undercroft; it is 16m long, the rear undercroft 13m. The Row storey has modern finishes; the portion over the rear undercroft is up 3 steps. The third storey has modern linings; a sandstone fireplace above the diagonal beams in the Row walk is inscribed TC (Thomas Cowper) 1661 to each side of a blank shield, and has a substantial projecting, moulded mantel. The attic storey has a moulded plaster cornice in the front room and C17 purlins and braces discernible but now boarded. The rear undercroft is the most important visible element. Thomas Cowper who improved the house, a Royalist, was Mayor of Chester 1641-2. (Chester Rows Research Project: Harris R: Bridge Street West, Nos.2-20: 1989-1990; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-: 124).





Listing NGR: SJ4050766244

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Author: Harris, B - Title: Chester - Date: 1979 - Journal Title: Bartholomew City Guides - Page References: 124

National Grid Reference: SJ 40507 66244

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:33:26.