List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTHGATE CHURCH

List entry Number: 1375969

Location

NORTHGATE CHURCH, UPPER NORTHGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469948

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 UPPER NORTHGATE STREET 1932-1/6/280 (West side) Northgate Church

II

Congregational church. 1874. By TM Lockwood; Thomas Richards contractor. Yellow squared snecked sandstone to front and brick to sides and rear; purple slate roof banded with triple rows of fishscale slates. Liturgical west is compass east; the description is by liturgical orientation. Hall-nave; south-west spire; 2-storey office on east end. EXTERIOR: the west front has north doorway with stone steps, buttresses, polished red granite colonnettes with Early English capitals, moulded arch in gable; similar doorway in south-west tower; late C20 glazed double doors of 3 panes in timber frame. West window of 5 lancets rising to centre; 4 small lancets to lobby below west window; coped gable containing 3 louvred lancets. Buttressed 3-stage tower; paired flat-topped slit-windows in second stage; lancet beneath arched recess in third stage; broaches to octagonal belfry with a louvred lancet bell-opening in each side; stone spire; weathervane. The north face has stone west bay with shoulder-arched window; stone buttresses. 6 Flemish bond brick bays have plinth, stone sillband; paired lancets with cream brick voussoirs; stone-dressed brick buttresses. Blank east end with simple brick, lean-to roofed office. The south side has 6 brick bays detailed as the north side; south side of tower has shoulder-arched window in first stage; second and third stages as to front. INTERIOR: an inserted suspended ceiling; furnishing replaced. The original roof structure, now hidden, is stated to be intact. (Simpson F: Notes on Chester Churches and Chapels: CR 119/26: 103).





Listing NGR: SJ4034566896

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Simpson, F , Notes on Chester Churches and Chapels, (1920-30), 103

National Grid Reference: SJ 40345 66896

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:25:02.