List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HERMITAGE

List entry Number: 1375947

Location

THE HERMITAGE, THE GROVES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469926

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 THE GROVES 1932-1/6/149 (North side) 28/07/55 The Hermitage

GV II*

Probably anchorite's cell to which a friar was formally inducted, now a cottage. 1363. Eroded vertical-sided bedrock plinth up to 2.5m high; coursed partly snecked sandstone; grey slate roof. The entrance front north was porch of former St Martin's Church (not included), re-erected here 1897-8 by TRP Royle on a segmental-arched bridge from adjacent higher ground: the arch has colonnette-jambs; trefoils in spandrels; triple lancets in right side; 2-light mullioned casement right of porch; projecting stone chimney right; the first floor has a lancet right, a triple lancet in an inserted or renewed ashlar panel above porch; voussoirs of a blocked arch partly behind chimney. The east end has a replaced window in segmental-arched opening to ground floor; a mullioned 3-light arched window with intersecting tracery to first floor; coped gable. The west end has a small high-level segmental-arched window to ground floor; buttress at south-west corner; coped gable with gabled finial. The rear, south, has some rectangular recesses in the plinth, a central lancet to stair and 2 lancets to first floor. All glazing is replaced. The cottage was refurbished c1970, probably by James Brotherhood. INTERIOR not inspected. Building vacant at time of survey (June 1992). (Cheshire SMR: Collens J: Chester City: 1988-: 3008/1/6; Chester City Council and Committee: Improvement Committee Minutes: 17.11.1897, 5.1.1898).





Listing NGR: SJ4095066064

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ4095066064

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:48:43.