List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHESTER RAILWAY STATION

List entry Number: 1375937

Location

CHESTER RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 STATION ROAD 1932-1/6/266 (North side) 31/07/70 Chester Railway Station (Formerly Listed as: CITY ROAD Chester General Station Entrance (including Mold Wing))

GV II*

Railway station, offices and shop. 1847-8. By CH Wild and Francis Thompson, with some involvement by Robert Stephenson; the contractor Thomas Brassey. Stone-dressed pale brown brick; slate and glazed roofs. Italianate style. PLAN/EXTERIOR: 2 storeys to front; a long, symmetrical central block with end pavilions plus a 10-window right wing, a shorter left wing and the Mold Wing set forward with a 2-storey 6-window section then a 12-bay train-shed. The very long overall facade is architecturally homogeneous, punctuated with projecting pavilions. 4 cast-iron columns support glazed entrance-canopy with trusses on ornate arched brackets. A shallower canopy of 4 bays right and 3 bays left on cantilevered wrought-iron brackets. A plastered groin-vaulted loggia under the left pavilion; the right pavilion contains offices. The ground-floor windows are round-arched with large margin-paned sashes in moulded stone cases. Margined 12-pane sashes to first floor have pedimented cases. The pavilions have emphasised detail including balconies, and corner turrets with paired round-arched openings. The central sashes are tripartite. The wings are expressed similarly to the central range; all have friezes and cornices. The Mold wing, far left, expressed similarly to the other facades, its 3-window right end facing the main station forecourt and the long side of the offices plus the former train-shed parallel with the main frontage. It has boldly corniced chimneys. INTERIOR: the entrance and former public rooms, including refreshment room where in 1859 "the utmost wish of your soul" could "be incontinently gratified" (T Hughes - The Stranger's Guide) are stripped or covered. The concourse has round-arched doorways and windows to former public rooms and offices and brick basket arches and round arch to platforms; glazed roof. A grand stone-dressed brick stair to each end of the iron lattice-girdered footbridge linking near and far platforms. Platforms 4 and 7 form an island between tracks with accommodation in two pavilions, of 11 and 13 bays



respectively, of stone-dressed brick with doors and margin-paned sashes in round-arched openings. The main canopy has twin ridges running parallel with the tracks. The inner edge is carried on a brick arcade running between the second and third track of the main line. The valley between the ridges is on 5 cast-iron columns between the pavilions. The outer edge is on a lattice girder and stanchions. The north bay platforms have a C20 canopy. HISTORICAL NOTE: at first the station served several railway companies and until closure of Chester Northgate Station c1969 was named Chester General. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 159; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Edinburgh: 1979-: 166-7).







Listing NGR: SJ4122667008

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 159
Harris, B, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in Chester, (1979), 166-7

National Grid Reference: SJ 41226 67008

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:33:19.