List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1375898

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY, PARKGATE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469877

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ46NW PARKGATE ROAD 1932-1/2/220 (South West side) 10/01/72 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury (Formerly Listed as: PARKGATE ROAD Church of St Oswald (St Thomas))

GV II

Parish church. 1869-72. By Sir George G Scott, the nave completed later by JO Scott. Tooled squared snecked red sandstone with roofs of graded grey-green slates, in early C13 style. PLAN: nave and south and north aisles of 5 bays under separate roofs; 2-bay chancel with north chapel; south-east tower with 2 of the intended 3 stages. EXTERIOR: tall plinth; angle and bay buttresses; shafted lancets with block capitals; corbel-table. West front has 7 stone steps to oak double doors on ornate hinges; 2 blank arches to each side; 2 lancets above door, with central and flanking blank arches; circular window with Star of David tracery in gable. The gable to each aisle has a pair of lancets with a sexfoil-lobed round window above; a cross-in-circle finial to each gable. The south aisle has a pair of lancets to each bay. The tower has square turret at south-west corner capped with diagonally-set timber-framed shelter with belled pyramidal roof of copper. Priest's door; a pair of lancets; paired-lancet bell-openings; simple parapet. Ornate rainwater-head and pipe in corner of tower with chancel; a south lancet to chancel. East window of 3 separated lancets; quatrefoil gable window; 2 lancets and an almond-shaped gable window to north chapel; the north side has a lancet and a priest's door in the east bay, a pair of lancets in the west bay. The 3 east bays of the north aisle have paired lancets. The north porch has a pair of lancets in each side; 5 stone steps to archway with pair of simple iron gates with dogbars; pair of oak doors on wrought strap hinges in archway with foliar capitals to responds. INTERIOR: tiled floor to nave; piers of quatrefoil section have stiff-leaf capitals; arched trusses to nave and aisles. Chancel-arch on corbelled responds; encaustic tile floor; arched trusses. West window 1885 by Kempe; rectangular font on 4 colonnettes; pedestal pulpit with polished colonnettes; carved choir-stalls; reredos 1909 by CE Deacon with statues of Saints Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel standing above; reredos 1913 by CE Deacon in the NE chapel. No clerestory.



Listing NGR: SJ4021567185

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40215 67185

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:26:07.