List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RECTORY, HALL AND BUILDINGS OF ST MARYS CHURCH, HANDBRIDGE

List entry Number: 1375896

Location

RECTORY, HALL AND BUILDINGS OF ST MARYS CHURCH, HANDBRIDGE, OVERLEIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4065 OVERLEIGH ROAD 1932-1/8/205 (North West side) 10/01/72 Rectory, hall and buildings of St Mary's Church, Handbridge (Formerly Listed as: OVERLEIGH ROAD The Rectory)

GV II

Substantial parsonage house and dependant buildings. c1890. By Grayson and Ould, probably at expense of the Duke of Westminster. Red brick, pargeting, brown clay tile roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and roof attic, double fronted, with former hall and service wing, right. Complex oak-panelled door in brick pilaster case with large shell hood on ornate brackets; double-transomed small-pane casement to each side; projecting wings have irregular window-patterns; a secondary door right. Moulded brick first-floor string course; a mullioned and transomed 5-light small-pane oriel above entrance; pargeted gablet; corbelled corner pilasters and a 4-light mullioned and transomed casement to each wing, in frames proud of wall surface; pargeted front gable to each wing, with bull's-eye window in brick surround; roof sweeps down to eaves of central bay; a roof dormer of two 6-pane lights under a pargeted gable. Shaped red-brick chimneys. The left side, with projecting chimney, is relatively simple. The rear has double oak doors with fanlight under basket arch, a large 2-storey canted 5-light bay window to each side and a nearly flush 12-pane sash above the doorway. The projecting secondary right wing, with former church hall, has a round-arched oak door, left; front gable, shaped, with 3 camber-arched sashes and a bull's-eye. INTERIOR not inspected. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 174; Ordnance Survey : 1:2500: Plan 38/15, 2nd Edition, Cheshire: 1897-1898).



Listing NGR: SJ4061965463

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971 - Page References: 174

National Grid Reference: SJ 40619 65463

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 02:41:59.