List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF CHRIST

List entry Number: 1375856

Location

CHURCH OF CHRIST, HOUGH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469835

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ3865 HOUGH GREEN 1932-1/7/178 (North side) Church of Christ

GV II

Church, formerly probably of the Holy Epiphany Lache and Saltney Parish. 1855. By James Harrison. Red sandstone with grey slate roof, gable towards road. EXTERIOR: west front has double framed and boarded doors on wrought-iron hinges in a moulded Gothic archway set in a projecting panel with side-buttresses; diagonal stepped buttresses at corners; triple lancets with sharply pointed ogee arches above entrance. Except for the entrance panel the masonry is rock-faced squared snecked rubble. Coped gable with kneelers and cross-gabled finials. The 4-bay nave has stepped buttresses, some to south badly eroded, and lancets. Lower, narrower, one-bay chancel has diagonal corner buttresses, a small pair of lancets with a trefoil window in east gable above. The nave windows appear to have Art Nouveau glass. INTERIOR: the nave has boarded floor, boarded dado, plastered walls, 3 arched trusses and exposed purlins and rafters. Original pews; the room east of nave, probably formerly the chancel, is now walled off up to the springing of the arch which contains loft with pipe organ. HISTORICAL NOTE: James Harrison had prepared more ambitious plans for a church capable of extension, at the junction of Boundary Lane and Green Lane, Saltney and there was to have been a school for 140 children. The more modest building adjacent to the north side of the church, not included in this item, appears to have been designed as a school, mid C19.





Listing NGR: SJ3896465110

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 38964 65110

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:03:45.