List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1375853

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HOOLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469832

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4167 HOOLE ROAD 1932-1/9/174 (South side) Church of All Saints

GV II

Parish church. 1867 by Samuel Dawkes; vestry 1911; south aisle 1912 by John Douglas and F Walley; reordering of interior furnishing late C20 by Graham Holland. Rock-faced coursed red sandstone; grey-green slates. PLAN: separate roofs to 5-bay nave and aisles; south-west tower with broach spire; flat-roofed south-east vestry; chancel; gabled north porch; plate tracery. EXTERIOR: the west end has 2-light window to north aisle; west doorway converted to window late C20; 3-stage tower, stair turret at north-west corner; cusped lancets to first and second stages; stone spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes; south side of tower contains south porch archway with boarded doors in cusped archway with foliar ornament; cusped lancets to second stage; all faces of third stage have paired bell-openings; bays of south aisle have alternating single and paired 2-light windows; vestry in C16 manner, with small east extension of stone-dressed brick; a 2-light window to east bay of chancel; east window of 2;1;2 lights; 1-light window to east bay of chancel; 2-light east window to organ-chamber; a 2-light window in each bay of north aisle; north porch, second bay from west has tracery-panelled doors in archway with bell-capital shafts; a trefoil above; diminishing buttresses; simple eaves to roofs; coped gables with cross finials. INTERIOR: circular columns with bell capitals; stone-dressed plastered walls; arch-braced collar trusses to nave; wagon roof to chancel; pews sensitively reordered, those in aisles angled to face altar; tiled floor to altar; reredos with Commandments; oak pulpit. East window 1878, scenes from life of Christ; east window in north aisle David and Jonathon in memory of Robert Cecil Morrison killed in action 1916 on the Somme; east window in south aisle in memory of Frederick Anderson, curate-in-charge 1868-71 and Vicar 1871-1907, by W Lawson 1924; in east bay of chancel, north, in memory of MW Lean headmaster of All Saints School, 1929; in cast bay of chancel, south, in memory of TA Wise, Vicar 1930-44. HISTORICAL NOTE: the land, spire and bells for the church were donated by Mrs Hamilton, widow of a major landowner in Hoole.



Listing NGR: SJ4179867490

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41798 67490

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:54:12.