List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH

List entry Number: 1375835

Location

CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, GROSVENOR PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469814

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK ROAD 1932-1/6/143 (West side) Church of St Werburgh

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1873-5 and 1913-14 by Edmund Kirby. Buff sandstone; grey slate roofs. Continuous aisled nave and sanctuary, liturgical orientation reversed. EXTERIOR: the west front is symmetrical; projecting nave-width porch has pair of boarded doors with statue of St Werburgh on column between; a pair of lancets in recessed arch to each side of statue. The porch is gabled, and with gabled parapet to each side-wall. The gabled west end of the nave has triple lancets, flanked by flat gabled buttresses. A lancet in west end of each aisle; loop in nave gable; cross finial. The aisles have buttresses between paired lancets; cross-gabled wings. 15 clerestory lancets to each side of nave and sanctuary; Apsidal east end with 5 lancets; ambulatory. INTERIOR: has alternating round and octagonal columns with rich foliar capitals; boarded wagon roof with trusses having stop-chamfered ties and octagonal posts; arched sanctuary truss with timber tracery.





Listing NGR: SJ4113566367

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41135 66367

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 02:24:30.