List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1375834

Location

6-11, GROSVENOR PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469813

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK ROAD 1932-1/6/142 (East side) 10/01/72 Nos.6-11 (Consecutive)

GV II*

Row of 6 town houses. 1872. By John Douglas as architect and developer. Ruabon red brick; some plaster panels and terracotta; red-brown clay tile roof. A varied but disciplined rhythm in Douglas's Germanic manner, flanked like his adjoining Zion Chapel (qv) by spired octagonal turrets. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with second floor partly in the high, steep roofs. Well-executed brick detailing with boldly corbelled left turret, mullioned and mullioned and transomed casements and panelled gables with some plastered lozenges. Mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows. Panelled doors with wrought-iron furniture, some covered, in varied porches. First and second-floor windows are mullioned or mullioned and transomed; some purpose-made leaded and painted glazing in upper lights. Sequence as follows: left bay with jettied first floor to end, hipped roof and hipped dormer facing Zion chapel, porch then octagonal turret with lead finialed spire to front : second bay with hipped dormer; broad third bay with great finialed half dormer, and with hipped canted bay window to ground floor; fourth bay with broad gabled dormer; gabled fifth bay with 2-storey canted, parapeted bay window; gabled sixth and seventh bay, the latter with a 2-storey hipped canted bay window and slender turret with steep spire and weathervane, marking the corner between Grosvenor Park Road and Grosvenor Park. The right end is more simply expressed than front and left end. 4 great ribbed chimneys. INTERIORS not fully inspected but retain Douglas detailing, some of very high quality. The houses were highly praised by Raffles Davison, noted by Muthesius and acclaimed by the Chester Archaeological Society as distinguished townscape between the then recently constructed City Road from the railway station and the 5-year-old Grosvenor Park where Kemp was designer and Douglas architect. (Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 112-5, 243, 250).





Listing NGR: SJ4117966407

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (1991), 112-5, 243
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (1991), 250

National Grid Reference: SJ 41179 66407

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:49:14.