List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STATUE OF RICHARD GROSVENOR, SECOND MARQUIS OF WESTMINSTER

List entry Number: 1375832

Location

STATUE OF RICHARD GROSVENOR, SECOND MARQUIS OF WESTMINSTER, GROSVENOR PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK 1932-1/6/136 Statue of Richard Grosvenor, second 10/01/72 Marquis of Westminster (Formerly Listed as: GROSVENOR PARK Statue of Second Marquis of Westminster)

GV II

Statue on plinth, of Richard Grosvenor second Marquis of Westminster. 1869. By Thomas Thornycroft at the expense of the Marquis's tenants, friends and neighbours, following his death in 1867. Polished granite and white stone; more than life-size. Granite plinth inscribed "RICHARD : SECOND MARQUIS OF WESTMINSTER : K.G. : THE GENEROUS LANDLORD : THE FRIEND OF THE DISTRESSED : THE HELPER OF ALL GOOD WORKS : THE BENEFACTOR TO THIS CITY : ERECTED BY TENANTS FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOURS : AD 1869". The Marquis stands in Garter robes but bare-headed, with one foot slightly advanced, expression benevolent and hands offering help. The statue is well positioned at the crossing of the main north-south and east-west axes of the Park which, designed by Edward Kemp and with lodge (qv) and features by John Douglas, was given to the City of Chester by the second Marquis of Westminster. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 160).



Listing NGR: SJ4123166232

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 160

National Grid Reference: SJ 41231 66232

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 12:17:19.