List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARK WALL BETWEEN MAIN GATEWAY AND ST AUGUSTINES CONVENT (CONVENT NOT INCLUDED)

List entry Number: 1375831

Location

PARK WALL BETWEEN MAIN GATEWAY AND ST AUGUSTINES CONVENT (CONVENT NOT INCLUDED), GROSVENOR PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469810

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK 1932-1/6/131 (North side) 10/01/72 Park wall between main Gateway & St Augustine's Convent (convent not included) (Formerly Listed as: GROSVENOR PARK Boundary Wall round Grosvenor Park)

GV II

Part of boundary wall of Grosvenor Park, to Union Street, between Main gateway to park (qv) and St Augustine's Convent (not included), with gate piers. 1865-1867. By John Douglas at expense of 2nd Marquis of Westminster. For Chester City Council. Squared snecked sandstone rubble and granite. Plinth with replaced railings opposite lodge (qv); wall 2 metres high to lodge yard with oak boarded door on ornate hinges in stop-chamfered opening with lintel on brackets; replaced railings on weathered plinth as far as gateway opposite Bath Street; pair of granite piers diminishing to octagonal section, with twice weathered caps; the wall continues, with minor openings, to the curtilage of St Augustine's Convent. (Chester City Council and Committee: Park Committee Minutes: 1865-1867: PASSIM; Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 28; 46-48).





Listing NGR: SJ4112666312

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hubbard, E - Title: The Work of John Douglas - Date: 1991 - Page References: 28, 46-48

National Grid Reference: SJ 41126 66312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 03:05:25.