List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREENBANK

List entry Number: 1375776

Location

GREENBANK, EATON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469755

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ46SW EATON ROAD 1932-1/4/82 (East side) 28/07/55 Greenbank

GV II

Country house, now catering college. c1820, altered 1923 by Sir Charles Reilly for Peter Jones and converted to non-residential college c1980 by Cheshire County Architect's Department. Stucco, flat-roofed. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 bays, almost symmetrical. Plinth; projecting portico with 2 square piers, unorthodox capitals; architrave, frieze, cornice and top-hamper. The central block has parallel-sided giant pilasters on broader projections at both ends. Replaced door of 6 fielded panels with 4-pane sidelights and basket-arched fanlight; recessed panel beneath a 12-pane recessed sash to each side of portico; 2 similar sashes to recessed left wing, lower than central block; right wing has one sash then 2-storey cylindrical bay window with 3 sashes. Double first-floor sillband; 3 recessed 12-pane sashes to first floor, with recessed panels above; entablature with dentil cornice, raised above portico; the left wing has 2 sashes, the right wing one sash in main front, then one of 12 panes, one of 15 panes and one of 12 panes in the round bay; simpler cornices to the wings. The raised sandstone pavement to right end and rear was the base for a wrought-iron verandah, removed c1980. Detailing similar to front, but with some windows altered. INTERIOR: altered: stair replaced; some 6-panel doors; 2 main rooms to rear have plaster wall panelling and moulded ceilings. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 175).





Listing NGR: SJ4097164540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 175

National Grid Reference: SJ 40971 64540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:03:56.