List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD GOVERNMENT HOUSE

List entry Number: 1375763

Location

OLD GOVERNMENT HOUSE, DEE HILLS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469742

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 DEE HILLS PARK 1932-1/6/65 Old Government House 10/01/72 (Formerly Listed as: DEE HILLS PARK Government House)

GV II

Country house, now office building. 1814. By Thomas Harrison, altered. Stucco; grey slate roof. 2 storeys with 3-bay garden front to river, south. Recessed sashes, most with glazing bars removed. The south front has a bowed central bay with a verandah of 4 Roman Doric columns plus square pilaster against wall at each end; French window to verandah; a sash in each wing. First-floor balcony above verandah has simple wrought-iron railing and a French window; a sash in each wing; painted stone cornice and one-course parapet. The entrance front, left, has Roman Doric porch with paired columns and pilasters; entablature with triglyphs. The second bay from the left is bowed. Some 12-pane sashes and 9-pane sashes. A large extension, probably 1930s, right, behind which the right side of the original building has a porch in a corner, with one Roman Doric column. INTERIOR: has stair, probably replaced, of one main flight with square shaped lower newel, open string with brackets, turned balusters and swept rail. Some plaster cornices, but much detail has been removed.





Listing NGR: SJ4151966444

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41519 66444

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 12:19:51.