List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALMOOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1375760

Location

WALMOOR HOUSE, DEE BANKS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ46NW DEE BANKS 1932-1/2/59 (West side) 10/01/72 Walmoor House (Formerly Listed as: DEE BANKS Walmoor Hill)

II*

House, later girls school, then County Fire Service headquarters. 1896. By John Douglas for himself. Snecked red sandstone with tooled surfaces; grey-green slate roof. T-shaped, in Elizabethan manner, main wing crowning steep Dee-side slope. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. The east, entrance front is composed as a squat 3-storey tower, left, with corbelled octagonal stair-turret against 2-storey projecting porch with oriel above basket-arch of entrance; a 2-storey range between porch and incomplete servants' wing, right; crenellated tower at junction of wings; stone-mullioned leaded windows; parapets, some crenellated; hipped roofs. Stringcourses, sparingly used. The north face of the servants' wing is simply expressed. The west face to the Dee, set on a precipitous bank, has canted bay windows to end of north wing of basement and 3 storeys; octagonal tower rising to 4 storeys at junction of wings; 3-window range of 2 storeys; 3 storey south bay with large canted projection to outer corner holding large mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors and small second-floor windows. INTERIOR retains many features including the principal reception room, now conference room, the stair and notably the oratory in the chamber above the main entrance. The plan is foreshadowed on a smaller scale by the former rectory of St Thomas's Church, Parkgate Road (qv) on a similar westward-facing valley-brow site, 1880; his unexecuted ideal design for such a site, larger than Walmoor and a schloss, was published in British Architect, 68, 1907. (Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 7-9; 189; RCHME: Historic Building Report - Walmoor Hill, Dee Banks, Chester: Swindon: 1997-).





Listing NGR: SJ4205365917

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (1991), 7-9, 189

National Grid Reference: SJ4205365917

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:48:14.