List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1375419

Location

19 AND 20, PARK ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466315

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE PARK ROW 714-1/75/295 (East side) 05/08/74 Nos.19 AND 20

GV II

Bank and chambers. Dated 1891, restored C20. By Alfred Waterhouse. Polished pink granite ground floor, banded pink brick and terracotta details above, patterned slate roof. Facade only survives. 4 storeys with attic, 8 bays: wide 3-window entrance in bay 4 flanked by 2-window bays and, far right, the Chambers entrance 1-window wide. Pilaster strips at corners and between bays rise to a modillion eaves cornice and parapet. Large rusticated round-arch doorway centre in a slightly projecting bay with paired pilasters and tripartite round arches, pierced balcony parapet at 1st and 2nd floors, the 1st-floor balcony is carried across the facade on large projecting curved stone brackets; moulded frieze over 2nd floor, gabled dormer. Right entrance is segmental-arched, date plaque above, 'MDCCCXCI'; at eaves a small turret with octagonal roof. Fenestration: large round-arched windows to ground floor; 2-light mullion and transom windows in moulded architraves to upper floors, lower part of 1st- and 2nd-floor mullions removed, the upper part a small Jacobean-type fluted Ionic column. Dormer windows front rebuilt roof with moulded stack left. INTERIOR: not inspected. Alfred Waterhouse, the principal architect for the Prudential Assurance Company, developed an important partnership with the Leeds Fireclay Company (then Wilcock and Co) of Burmantofts following his work on the Yorkshire College building in 1883 and from that date his designs use their terracotta products. (Bradford Art Galleries and Leeds City Museums: Burmantofts Pottery: exhibition guide and catalogue: 1984-).



Listing NGR: SE2995733731

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: Anders, M - Title: A Brief History Of Burmantofts Works In Bradford And Leeds - Date: 1984 - Journal Title: Exhibition Guide

National Grid Reference: SE 29957 33731

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:08:42.