List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DEVONSHIRE HALL UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS

List entry Number: 1375323

Location

DEVONSHIRE HALL UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, CUMBERLAND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466218

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NE CUMBERLAND ROAD, Headingley 714-1/65/736 (West side) Devonshire Hall, University of Leeds

GV II

Hall of residence for the University of Leeds. 1928. By JC Proctor and FL Charlton. Snecked stonework to lower walling, rendered above, slate roofs. 3 storeys with attics and single-storey linking ranges, a courtyard complex linked to the 2 mid C19 semi-detached houses on the site (qv) and composed of the main east-facing block 5 bays wide with 9-bay L-shaped wings extending at right angles and facing onto Cumberland Road. In C17 'Scottish Baronial' style, the principal features are: triple-arched main facade with central oriel rising through 2 storeys to a crenellated clock turret; board doors with iron studs and fittings, carved lintels; 4-centred arches in square chamfered surrounds surmounted by shield and stepped hoodmoulds on side wings; gabled projecting staircase bays; colonnaded ground floor to rear of wings; attic storey with gabled 3-light dormers. INTERIOR: not inspected. The University leased the former Wesleyan College on Headingley Lane, now Mount St Joseph's College (qv), as a residence 1924-c1930, called Devonshire Hall after the then Chancellor. As the lease expired the Regent Court Hotel was initially bought and extended on this site; when the new hall was completed the name was transferred. The architect also designed the forecourt to the Leeds Town Hall (qv) and the Algernon Firth Institute of Pathology, St George's Road (qv). (Gosden, PHJH & Taylor, AJ: Studies in the History of a University: Leeds: 1974-: 59, 136).



Listing NGR: SE2871735871

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gosden, P H and Taylor, A J - Title: Studies in the History of a University 1874-1974 - Date: 1974 - Page References: 136

National Grid Reference: SE 28717 35871

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:16:58.