List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1374977

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityUlverston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459895

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ULVERSTON

SD2878 CHURCH WALK 626-1/3/10 Church of St Mary 02/03/50

II*

Parish church. C16 with re-used C12 south doorway. Restored and enlarged 1804. Extensively restored and partly rebuilt 1864-6 by Paley. Chancel extended 1903-4 by Austin and Paley, who also re-furnished the east end of the south aisle in 1923 as the War Memorial Chapel. Sandstone and limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: comprises a west tower, nave with clerestorey, south aisle and south porch, a north aisle under a pitched roof, and a chancel. EXTERIOR: the tower is of 3 stages and has angle buttresses and an embattled parapet. The west window is pointed, of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Below there is a doorway which is hollow-chamfered with a segmental arch. The bell openings are each of 3 lights with flat heads, mullions, slate louvres, and hoodmoulds. On the south side of the wall of the middle stage is an inscribed tablet with hoodmould. The north aisle is of 7 bays separated by buttresses and has pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. All are of 2 lights except for the western one in the north wall which is of 3 lights, as is the east window. The west window is of 5 lights. On the south side the clerestorey windows are mullioned, of 3 lights with flat heads and hoodmoulds. The south aisle windows are pointed and of 2 lights: to the left of the priest's door there are 4 windows and to the right there are 2. The porch, towards the west end, is gabled with a cross finial and with a moulded 4-centred outer doorway which has a hoodmould and angel stops. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and has a round arch of 3 orders (including chevron and cable ornament) with chamfered imposts. The east chancel window is of 5 lights, and a south buttress is inscribed 'MDCCCCIII'. INTERIOR: the pointed tower arch is chamfered in 2 orders which die into the responds. The 7-bay arcades date from 1804 and are plastered, with pointed chamfered arches springing from octagonal columns with moulded caps. The open timber roof has braced collar trusses alternating with king-post trusses which have queen struts and corbelled wall posts. The chancel extension is of sandstone ashlar and has double sedilia and a piscina, and a boarded barrel roof. 2 bays of the main arcades are within the chancel, which is raised above the level of the nave and divided from it by a low sandstone wall pierced by quatrefoils. FITTINGS: the choir stalls are of carved oak, and oak screens with carved tracery (probably by Austin and Paley) divide the chancel from the south chapel and from the north vestry and organ chamber. A similar screen divides the organ chamber from the north aisle. The organ was re-built in the later C20, but the organ case (which faces towards the north vestry) has 6 timber Corinthian columns supporting an entablature. MEMORIALS: the numerous memorials include a tomb chest in the north aisle (formerly in the south chapel) with the carved effigy of William Sandys of Conishead Priory (d.1559). At the west end of the south aisle there is a canopied mural monument to Miles Dodding (d.1629) with a small recumbent figure and a Latin inscription. At the east end of the south aisle there are memorial brasses to an earlier Miles Dodding (d.1606) and his wife set in a tablet of polished limestone in an Elizabethan style which appears to be early C19.



Listing NGR: SD2889978685

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 28899 78685

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:54:51.