List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1374442

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireEast StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityRolleston on Dove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 273641

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROLLESTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD SK 22 NW 11/62 Church of St Mary 12.3.64 GV I

Parish church. C12 and C13 with later alterations, including a restoration of 1892 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Sandstone, mainly ashlar; C12 work is finely coursed and dressed; red tiled roof to nave and chancel and lead flat roofs to aisles behind parapets. Tower (with spire), nave, aisles set eastwards, well down line of nave, and chancel. Tower: of 3 stages with strings at stages, angle buttresses of 3 stages, gabletted to bottom stage; crenellated parapet (gargoyles at angles) and stone spire of 1892. Deeply- set labelled pointed bell chamber openings; Y-tracery and louvres, similar but narrower west window. Nave: south side: 2 bays exposed, divided by 2-stage buttresses; 3-light pointed Decorated window to right with reticulated tracery; slight break to left with round-arched C12 doorway; 3 Decorated bands, roll and zig-zag; later extrados band, double pilasters with scalloped capitals, boarded doors. North side of nave has one bay exposed with unusual window of C17 appearance; 3 trefoil-headed lights and criss-cross panel over with trefoils within panels under flat head. South aisle: of 1892. Three bays divided by 2-stage buttresses, larger bay to east, labelled 2-light pointed reticulated tracery windows to all but east bay containing a small pointed Priest's door. North aisle: of 4 bays divided by 2-stage buttresses. Inner windows small C19 pointed with 2 lights, 3-light pointed to right, 3-light to east end with geometric tracery. Pent porch to north-west side of aisle, small 2-light pointed windows to sides and labelled pointed arch to boarded door. Chancel: longer than nave and part-screened by aisles of approximately 2 bays; 3-light pointed east windows, 3-light cinquefoil- headed window to north. Interior: 2-bay nave. Arcades both sides pointed, on octagonal columns,; tower (very low-set) and chancel arches simple, pointed; nave roof of 4 bays; collar and arch braces with cusped screens; curved windbraces to purlin and ridge; 2-bay scissor truss to chancel; cambered tie to north aisle. Pulpits: octagonal, fretted oak on base stone and C19-octagonal stone pulpit with quatrefoil panelled sides at west end. Font: octagonal stone with boarded and close to rim. Wooden screen to tower. Stained glass in chancel by Kempe. Monuments: Bishop Sherburne of Chichester of 1536: recumbent figure reset in north wall of chancel, torso divided by cartouche block; sanctuary: Thomas Caldwell, died 1554, circa 1600 stone kneeling figures of lady and gentleman flank central figure, all within corbelled portico, decorated frieze to niche in centre, coat-of-arms, cartouche and arrow at base; south aisle: Sir Edward Mosley, died 1638, aedicular, stone; 4 black columns around reclining figure on chest support frieze canopy with coat-of-arms and cartouche to centre flanked by figures; obelisks at angles and strapwork in low relief to back-panel; ceiling of canopy in embossed fleurons; Wilman memorial 1692: architraves and coat-of-arms in cartouche apron below; south aisle: plaques to Oswald Mosley 1789; John Peploe Mosley, 1834; Sir Oswald Mosley, 1871 (Gothic); Sir Thos Mosley 1890 (Gothic); Sir Oswald Mosley, 1915 (Neo-Classical). There is also an inscribed plaque of a knight and lady set into the north side of the arch into the vestry.



Listing NGR: SK2356927718

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 23564 27718

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 05:06:42.