List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1374273

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityFarewell and Chorley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 01 SE FAREWELL AND FAREWELL CHORLEY C.P.

2/23 Church of St. Bartholomew 27.2.64

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1300 largely rebuilt in the mid C18 and restored mid C19. Chancel, nave and west tower (with south porch). Stone and red brick; tiled roofs with verge parapets to east. Tower: 1747 brick, only slightly taller than nave ridge, raised string below plain corniced parapet, small round-arch bell chamber openings; gabled south porch with round arch entrance. Nave: 1740 of brick; corbelled eaves band and pilasters at extremities; two bays, round arch Y-tracery windows with keystone heads. Chancel: of one bay and under continuous ridge with nave, C15 panel tracery two-light flat-headed windows to sides; 3-light, pointed east window with intersecting tracery. Interior: nave roof late C19 crown post type. Pulpit: C20, octagonal with carved linenfold panels. Simple font on stand inscribed "A. A. MINN/IR CH WAR/1703". Two ranges of circa 1300 misericords in chancel. Graded II* for surviving medieval fabric and fittings. B.O.E. p.131.

Listing NGR: SK0832311622

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 131

National Grid Reference: SK 08323 11622

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 01:06:18.