List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1373865

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict AuthorityIckham and Well

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 171253

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5273 ICKHAM AND WELL THE STREET (north-east side)

The Old Rectory (formerly listed as the Rectory) TR 25 NW 10/428 29.9.52

II*

2. Probably this is the remaining part of the manor house belonging to the Prior of Christ Church Monastery. The south-eastern part is a C13 house with a hall on the first floor and cellar below built circa 1280. Two storeys, faced with flints with long and short ashlar quoins. Hipped tiled roof. The ground floor has one window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullions . Above is a double stone window with 2 trefoil-headed lights. The centre portion is C19 with an older core of 2 storeys red brick with tiled roof. The north-east projection is C18. Two storeys red brick. Two crow-stepped gables. Two sash windows with glazing bars intact stringcourse and cornice. To the west of the south-east part is a further portion dating from the C17-Cl8 of which the ground floor is faced with red brick and the first floor is tile hung. Simple doorcases. The interior contains a late Cl5 wooden ceiling and remains of a C16 fireplace. The floor joist to the hall may be original. The Rev Maric Casaubon, classical scholar and sons of the more famous Isaac Casauton who was Rector of Ickham from 1662 to 1671 lived here during those years and died in the house in 1671.

Listing NGR: TR2198358251

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 21976 58249

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:32:54.