List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1373840

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, DETHICK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityDethick, Lea and Holloway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 NW PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY DETHICK LANE (off) 1/49 13-2-67 Church of St John the Baptist GV II*

Anglican church. Tower dated 1530, the remainder of the church C13 with later additions and refashioning. Ashlar and coursed rubble gritstone with shallow pitched leaded roof. West tower, nave and chancel with clerestory, a single roof covering the body of the church, without visible differentiation between nave and chancel. West tower, of three stages, rising from a two stage moulded plinth, diagonal stepped buttresses with set-offs, rising to a moulded string- course below an ashlar crenallated parapet with moulded merlons. Tall polygonal stair turret with crenellated parapet rises above main tower at the south-east corner. Tower west face with doorway with four-centred arch beneath a moulded flat head, and with a stepped hoodmould rising above incribed plaque bearing date of 1530. Above first floor string-course, two tiers of late Perp. 3-light windows beneath pointed arched heads, hoodmoulds and stops; the upper opening blind. Deep decorated frieze band below bell stage carries carved heraldic shields of the Babingtons and related families, the tower having been erected by Sir Anthony Babington. Frieze band delineated by projecting continuous mouldings. Above, 2-light belfry windows with single chamfer to surrounds. Above, a moulded string- course, and ashlar crenellated parapet. South side wall with simple pointed arched doorway below hoodmould to west end, single light pointed arched window with hoodmould and stops, and, at the chancel end, a 3-light cusped hooded window within a chamfered square headed surround. Clerestory above in ashlar masonry, separated from lower rubble by a chamfered string-course. Four 2-light clerestory window with cinquefoil heads to lights within chamfered square headed surrounds. Shallow parapet to nave and chancel above chamfered string-course. 3-light 'Y' tracery east window beneath hoodmould with stops, within simply chamfered surround. North wall with three 2-light clerestory windows, and a single ground floor pointed arched light beneath a hoodmould. Shallow lean-to roof towards west end. Plain interior, with narrow pointed arch to tower.

Listing NGR: SK3271457970

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 32714 57970

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 01:21:57.