List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1372547

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH WALK
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WELDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireCorbyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 229789

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORBY CHURCH WALK SP8988NE (East side) 18/9 Church of St. John the Baptist 17/03/53

GV II*

Church. Late C12, early C13, C14, datestone 1625, restored 1900. Regular coursed limestone with ashlar chancel, porch, tower and spire. Lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch, vestry and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of C14 two- and 3-light windows with reticulated tracery, one with lozenges. 2 blocked door openings. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. Fine 4-light east window with reticulated tracery. North elevation of chancel has one 2-light window similar to south elevation and central gargoyle in parapet. C19 vestry is attached at right angles to chancel and has 3-light window with plate tracery in north gable. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with intersecting tracery. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. 3-light east window has intersecting tracery with cusping. Single-light west window. Gabled south porch between windows has chamfered and moulded outer arch with datestone 1625/IP, sundial and finial above. Porch has stone gabled roof supported internally by chamfered transverse ribs, rising from the ground and similar stone ridge member and purlins. C20 doors with stone surround inserted in outer arch. North aisle restored 1900 is of 3-window range of 2- and 3-light square-head windows with 2-stage buttresses between. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Lancet window in west elevation. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gable roof at same level as chancel has plain ashlar parapets. Decorated west tower of 3-stages with 5-stage angle buttresses at western corners. West door has chamfered and moulded surround. Blocked window opening above. Single-light window to south face. North face is only 2 stages with lower stage of coursed rubble. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Quatrefoil frieze. Broach spire with short octagonal pinnacles at each corner and pairs of carved heads at apex of broaches. 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade. 2 bays of south arcade are c.1200 with double chamfered arches, octagonal pier and responds with upright stiff-leaf capitals. The west bay is similar, added c.1300. North arcade is c.1900 with moulded and chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Double chamfered chancel arch and chamfered tower arch, now blocked. Chancel roof may have C14 timbers, other roofs are C19. Triple, ogee headed, sedilia and piscina with cusping in the spandrels. Triangular headed tomb recess to left of altar has crockets and 2 orders of shafts. Trefoil head piscina in south aisle. Late C19 stone pulpit. Late C12 circular font with dogtooth arcading. Stained glass: north chancel window and centre north aisle window have fragments of medieval glass. 2 south chancel windows and one north aisle and two south aisle windows have early C20 glass probably all by Morris and Co.



Listing NGR: SP8983788772

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 89837 88772

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:51:23.