List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY AND ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1372013

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY AND ST EDMUND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCatesby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360532

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CATESBY LOWER CATESBY SP55NW 4/42 Chapel of St. Mary and St. 18/01/68 Edmund GV II Church. Built 1861-2 on foundations of C17 chapel of Old Catesby House by Gillet of Leicester for James Attenborough; Porch and vestry of 1894. Ironstone ashlar, tiled roof. Rectangular plan. 3-light mullioned and transomed east window with hood mould. 2-light mullioned windows to north and south sides. Angle and side buttresses. String courses below windows. One-bay vestry on south-east corner. West porch timber-framed on low stone walls. Small single-light window above porch. At apex of gable stone bellcote with single open pointed arch containing one bell. Roof has 2 timber dormers north and south and stone coped gables with kneelers. Interior: reset piscina and sedilia of c.1300 from Catesby Priory of 3 bays with crocketed gables and pinnacles, now framing door to vestry. Fragments of medieval stained glass in west window. C19 stained glass in east and south-east windows. C17 woodwork from former chapel including late C17 communion rail with barley sugar balusters. Early C17 pulpit with tester. Jacobean panels incorporated in pews. Some of Jacobean-style timber corbels supporting roof may be original. Painted Royal Arms of Charles II at west end and hatchments of Parkhurst family. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.145; Rev. S.H. Marriott, Some Notes for a History of Catesby).

Listing NGR: SP5155559579

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: Marriott, SH - Title: Some Notes for a History of Catesby
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 145

National Grid Reference: SP 51555 59579

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 12:32:33.