List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1371995

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityApethorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

APETHORPE MAIN STREET TL0295 (South side) 18/21 Church of St. Leonard 23/05/67 GV I Church. C14/C15, Mildmay Chapel 1621, tower dated 1633; restored C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar porch and tower. Lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel, south chapel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of south chapel of 2-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arch-heads. 2-stage buttress between windows and similar clasping buttresses at corners. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. 4-light east window of south chapel is similar to south windows. Similar east window of chancel has centre mullion missing and lower lights blocked. Gable end of chancel is lower than south chapel. 2- stage buttress between east windows. North elevation of chancel is a 2-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arch-heads. 2-stage buttress between windows and similar clasping buttress at corner. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 3-light windows similar to chancel. 2-stage ashlar buttress between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. 3-light west window is similar to south windows. Gabled porch breaks forward to left. Outer doorway has double chamfered 4-centred arch-head and semi-circular responds. Inner doorway has similar head and moulded stone surrounds. Panelled doors. Shallow niche above outer doorway and plain parapets. North aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 3-light windows similar to chancel. North door, in bay to right, has 4-centred arch-head and moulded stone surround. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between windows and similar clasping buttresses at corners. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arch-heads. Lower lights of windows have been blocked. 3-stage unbuttressed west tower has moulded plinth and moulded string courses, forming a set back at each stage. Small plain arch-head west doorway has 2-light round-head window above. Single-light west window in second stage. Staircase slits to lower 2 stages of north face. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have round heads and moulded stone surrounds set in a square head recess. Narrow lattice frieze, above, with gargoyles at corners. Castellated parapet and panelled pinnacle bases at corners. Set-back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3 bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with semi-circular responds, facing into each arch, and single chamfers facing into nave. Similar chancel arch has plain corbelled responds. Chamfered and moulded tower arch with polygonal responds. Plain inner arch. 3-bay arcade into south chapel, roll moulding and flat underside to arches. Piers and responds have alternate flat and roll moulded faces. Similar arch from south aisle to south chapel. Perpendicular nave roof has arched braced principals and cross beams. Similar aisle roofs adapted as lean-to structures. Chancel and south chapel roofs have Kingpost trusses. Moulded King posts in south chapel. Panelled reredos behind altar has pilasters. Fielded panelled dado in chancel. Tower screen, probably of 1633 has arch-head doorway, turned balusters and panelled base. C18 pulpit with fielded and moulded panels. C18 font with small bowl on baluster. Painting of Christ walking on the water by R.S. Lauder in chancel. Stained glass; reset medieval fragments in south window of south chapel. East window of south chapel c.1621 in Flemish style; east window of chancel c.1732 by I. Rowell of High Wycombe. 2 early C20 windows in south aisle commemorate Brassey family who lived at Apethorpe Hall early C20. Wall decoration: inside wall of south chapel has elaborately carved limestone panels with rectangular panels, having some traces of biblical text. Scroll surrounds and arrangement of drapes in spandrels of arcades. Carved corbel in north-east corner of chancel. Fragments of wall paintings above chancel arch. Monuments: Sir Richard Dalton, d.1442, alabaster effigy in south-east corner of south chapel. Sir Anthony Mildmay, d.1617 and wife, large and elaborate black and white marble monument in centre of south chapel. Recumbent effigies on sarcophagus. 4 life-size figures of Piety, Charity, Wisdom and Justice stand at the corners holding back canopy draperies which fall from a circular lantern, with arched openings. Seated figures at head, and flanking the lantern represent Faith, Hope and Charity. John Leïgh, d.1627 black and white marble tablet to right of altar has flanking columns and inverted broken pediment with recumbent figure to one side. Rowland Woodward to left of altar is also black and white marble with flanking obelisks. Honorable John Arthur Fane, died in infancy 1816, marble effigy of a baby in south chapel. Various C19 tablets in south chapel and south aisle to Fane family who were Earls of Westmorland and Lords Burghersh and who lived at Apethorpe Hall until 1904. Jacobean chest and 2 pieces of armour in south chapel. Silk Tabard mounted in south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: P83; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p2)

Listing NGR: TL0249695701

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire - Date: 1984 - Page References: 2
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 83

National Grid Reference: TL 02496 95701

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 11:45:59.