List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1371944

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityFotheringhay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232628

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL09SE, TL0593 6/73, 14/73 23/05/67

FOTHERINGHAY MAIN STREET (South side) Church of St. Mary and All Saints

GV I

Collegiate church now parish church. Begun as a college about 1370 for Edmund Langley and founded 1411 by his son Edmund of York. Nave rebuilt for Richard Duke of York by mason William Hanwood about 1434. Chancel cloisters and college buildings demolished at the Dissolution. Restored C19. Originally aisled nave, chancel west tower, north porch, cloisters and college buildings. Limestone ashlar with some squared coursed limestone to south and east walls, Lead roofs. South aisle of 6 bays, 5-window range of 4-light windows with 2-centred arch heads and panel tracery. Bay to far right is blank, with various blocked openings originally giving access to the cloisters. 2-stage buttresses, between bays, terminating as crocketed pinnacles decorated with panel tracery. Flying buttresses, springing from the base of each pinnacle to the nave clerestory, are curved above and below. 2 flying buttresses, to left of centre, and one to right are missing. Buttress above east wall is solid with a central 4-centred arch head opening. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapets. 3-light east window of aisle, with 4-centred arch head, is set in former archway to chancel. 4-light west window is similar to south windows. South nave clerestory of 6 bays. 5-window range of 4-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. The bay to the far right has 2 windows, one of which is only 3-lights. 2 bays to far left are blank. Shallow gabled roof with castellated parapet and remains of gargoyles. East wall of nave has blocked chancel arch. 5-light window above has 4-centred arch head. Flanking 3-stage buttresses and central 2-stage buttress. Shallow gable roof has plain ashlar parapet to this elevation. North aisle of 6-bay, 5-window range of 4-light windows similar to the south aisle; the window to the far left is of 3 lights. 2-stage buttresses, between bays, with pinnacles and flying buttresses, all similar to the south aisle. Lean-to roof with castellated parapet. East elevation is a blocked archway to the former chancel. West elevation has a 4-light window similar to the south aisle. Bay to far right of north aisle has 2-storey north porch. Central 4-light, square-head, first floor window. Similar 3-light window, now blocked, in return wall to left has blocked square-head opening below. Single-light window in return wall to right. Outer doorway, to left of centre, has 4-centred arch head with moulded surround and semi-circular reveals. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch head roll moulding and square-head surround. Flat roof, not visible, has castellated parapet. North nave clerestory of 6 bays, 5-window range, similar to south clerestory. 2-windows to far left forming seperate bays and wider blank area to far right, appearing as one bay. West tower rises 2 stages from blank end bay of nave clerestory with an octagonal lantern above. West doorway has moulded and shafted archway set in square-head surround with quatrefoils and shields in the spandrels. Panelled doors. Large 8-light window above has panel tracery with transom. Flanking 3-stage buttresses. Nave parapet continues above this stage. Stage above has 2-light windows, to each face, with 4-centred arch heads and hollow reveals. Upper stage of tower has large 4-light bell-chamber openings, to each face, with king mullions, transoms and 4-centred arch heads. Shallow corner buttresses terminate as octagonal corner turrets with castellated parapets. Plain parapet between turrets. The south turrets have remains of armorial beasts. Octagonal lantern has diagonal shafts at corners decorated with panel tracery and carved heads, each terminating as a crocketed pinnacle. Tall, 3-light, windows to each face of octagon have 2-centred arch heads, panel tracery and transoms with cusping. Castellated ashlar parapets between pinnacles. Central leaded spirelet with weathervane. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of tall Perpendicular arches which are moulded with a continuous double hollow section. Semi-circular responds facing into each archway and plain shafts, facing into nave and aisles, which are continuous to roof level. Similar shafts are reflected in the aisle walls. Clerestory windows, above, are set in plain recesses. Tall tower arch is similar to the nave arcade but with 4-centred arch head, similar lower arches between tower and aisles. Nave roof has curved braces and collars with carved bosses at intersection of purlins. Aisle roofs restored C19 possibly incorporating some original timbers. Fan vaulted tower ceiling c1529. 2-light, square-head, window to right of altar opens into south aisle. Various blocked openings to right of south aisle altar. Perpendicular pulpit with rib vaulted tester with a larger Jacobean tester over. Late C18/early C19 box pews. Early C19 reredos, to east wall, has Gothick panels with the Ten Commandments, The Creed and The Lords Prayer inscribed. Stained glass: mid C20 armorial shields of House of York, east window of south aisle. 16 C20 painted shields in nave relate to families having historical links with Fotheringhay. Fragment of wall painting to right of west window. Perpendicular octagonal font has medieval carving incorporated into cover. Monuments: matrices of medieval brasses in chancel and sanctury floor. Edmund Second Duke of York and Richard Third Duke of York, identical monuments to either side of altar, erected in 1573 by Queen Elizabeth I. Each is of limestone, ashlar, with central armorial devices with strapwork flanked by pairs of attached Corinthian columns, similar columns on return walls facing into nave. Entablature, with armorial devices of House of York, and moulded cornice with central bracketed sections with semi-circular section above. Thomas Hurland, died 1589: brass tablet in sanctuary floor, Kath Hutchins, died 1726: Rococo style tablet on centre pier of north nave archade. Rev. John Morgan, died 1781: tablet to left of south aisle altar has delicate swags, broken pediment and urn. Various C18 and C19 floor and wall tablets. The college was established for about 30 persons and its buildings probably included cloisters, dormitories, chapter house, hall and kitchens. (RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p64; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p220)



Listing NGR: TL0599593143

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 220
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 05995 93143

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 08:08:49.