List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1371900

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityNewton Bromswold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON BROMSWOLD CHURCH LANE SP96NE (East side) 8/100 Church of St. Peter 28/05/54 GV I

Church. Mid C13 to mid C14, restored 1879. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar spire and lead and old plain tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows, that to left has square head. South door between window range has roll moulding. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and C19 finial. 3-light Decorated window with geometrical tracery. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. North elevation of chancel is of 2 bays with one 2-light Decorated window to right. 2-stage buttress between bays. South elevation of chancel is of 2 bays, one-window range, at lower level. 3-light window with 4-centred head and carved label stops to right. Gabled porch to left with double-chamfered outer arch and inner doorway with 4-centred head and hollow moulding. Single-light square-head windows to return wall. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and finial and central gargoyles in return walls. Tablet with cross keys and crown above outer door. Nave clerestory at upper level is of 3-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with castellated parapet and cornice decorated with heads and rosettes. 2- and 3-stage buttresses abutting at junction of nave and chancel. South aisle is of 3-bays, 2-window range with 2- and 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads to centre and left bay. Central north doorway and C19 vestry door to right bay. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with part castellated ashlar parapets. 3-light, Perpendicular, square-head, east window and 2 single-light square-head west windows. North nave clerestory of 3-window range similar to south. West tower is enclosed by aisle on north side. 3 stages with 2-stage angle buttresses. Tall west lancet in lower stage is set between buttresses and wall panel returns to tower face with chamfer above window. 2-light bell-chamber opening, with quatrefoils, to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet with gargoyles at corners. Set back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes with crocketted gablets. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade to north aisle of double-chamfered Perpendicular arcades with piers formed of 4 shafts and 4 hollows, one with leaf capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. Some original roof timbers in nave and north aisle with carved corbels. C19 chancel roof. Blank arcade to south wall of chancel forms piscina and sedilia with 5 seats. Octagonal font with Jacobean cover having crocketted angles. Perpendicular pulpit with panelled back. Piscina in north chapel with squint, to chancel, above. Stained glass: c.1410-1440 fragments in north aisle, north-east window depicting a Bishops head, and to 2 chancel windows. C19 east window probably by KeTipe, Monuments: William Hewet, Rector, died 1426 and Roger Hewet, Chaplain, died 1487, brass figures in floor of chancel. Thos. Bletsoe died 1710, inscription around earlier brass. Henry Lamb died 1727, inscribed tablet over pulpit.

Listing NGR: SP9981865858

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 99818 65858

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 09:48:08.