List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

List entry Number: 1371761

Location

CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLINGBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SP8967NW (South side) 11/95 Church of All Hallows 23/09/50

GV I

Church. Cl2 to C14. Squared coursed ironstone and limestone ashlar with lead roof. Aisled nave and chancel, south transept, north and south porches and west tower. South elevation of chancel of ironstone, one-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel , east window, is a 5-liqht. Decorated window with Reticulated tracery forming a roundel at its head. South chancel aisle of limestone ashlar has 4-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with segmental arch heads. Similar 5-light east window and south transept window to left. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with castellated parapets. South porch of ironstone, 2 storeys, has double-chamfered outer arch and c.1070 inner door opening with semi-circular head and zig-zag decoration to arch and shafts. Porch ceiling is C14 tierceron star vault. South nave aisle to left of porch of 2-window range similar to south chancel aisle, with similar west window. North elevation of vestry of ironstone, one-window range of 2-light square-head windows with 3 similar east windows, small corner doorway to right and lean-to roof with plain parapet. Octagonal turret at junction of east wall of aisle and north wall of chancel. North chancel aisle of limeston ashlar, 3-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 3-centred-arch heads. S-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with castllated parapet. North nave aisle of ironstone, 3-window range of similar 3-light Perpendicular windows and similar west window. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. North porch to left of centre is similar to south parch with simple 4-centred head to inner door-opening and wooden ceiling with original moulded beams. Nave clerestory of ironstone has 2-light square and arch head windows; chancel, east end, has castellated parapet with pinnacles at corners. Nave and chancel have shallow pitched roofs. West tower, late C13 of 3 stages. Lower 2 stages are banded limestone and ironstone and upper stage is ashlar. 3-stage angle buttresses to lower 2 stages. Decorated west door opening with triple shafts has rose window above. 2-light window to north and south face of second stage. Pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings, with double shafts, to each face of third-stage. Corbel table above is decorated with faces. Fine broach spire of ashlar has octagonal corner pinnacles and 2 tiers of lucarnes. Inscribed tablet above vestry window, "William Bailey architect all worldly fabric are but vanity to Heavenly buildings for eternity sepult Novemb y. 30th 1674 Eiat 80". Statue riches above north and south porch openings. Interior: double-chamfered and moulded chancel arch with continuous chamfered responds. Decorated 4-bay nave arcade of double hollow chamfered arches an octagonal piers. Similar Decorated arch to north chancel aisle and Perpendicular arches to south chancel aisle and south transept. Triple-chamfered west tower arch. Perpendicular 4-bay chancel arcade of stepped and moulded arches with quatrefoil piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows. South transept roof is of Perpendicular painted panels with angels and bosses, north chancel aisle roof is of similar style. South aisle roofs and chancel roofs have some Perpendicular moulded timbers and bosses. 4-light stone mullion oriel window from parvis room over south porch. Perpendicular screens between chancel arcades and late C19 screens between nave and chancel have attached figures after designs by Sir Ninian Comper. 6 stalls in chancel have misericords. Lady Chapel altar table is dated 1633. Font, octagonal, reputadly base of medieval cross. Monuments: south aisle, tablet dated 1570 has 2 tapering caryatids and strapwork. John Fredrick, died 1773, north aisle: tablet with urn and obelisk by Nicholas Love. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass to windows in south porch parvis room. Chancel east window by Alexander Gibbs 1871. South aisle east window by Evie Hone 1955. All south aisle, 3 north aisle and west windoes have stained glass; 2 south aisle and 3 west windows have late C20 glass' by John Piper and F'a+.rick Reyntieis, others are late C19 and early C20. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.451; All Hallows, A Brief Guide by Canon M. Clarke)

Listing NGR: SP8918067960

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clarke, Cannon M, All Hallows A Brief Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 451

National Grid Reference: SP 89180 67960

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:01:50.