List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1371694

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityLittle Harrowden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233511

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE HARROWDEN MAIN STREET SP87SE (North side) 2/231 Church of St. Mary 28/05/54

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C14, C17, mid C19 and C20. Regular coursed and squared coursed ironstone and limestone with lead roof. Aisled nave and chancel. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with 3-light C14 window with 4-centred head. 4-light east window with Y-tracery supporting a roundel with cusping. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with late C13 two-light window with blank bay alongside. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Small door opening to right has single-chamfered pointed arch. Late C12 door opening to left has semi-circular arch with 3 roll mouldings and an outer zig-zag moulding supported on 3 orders of shafts with volute capitals. Projecting stone surround to door opening has ashlar coping with inscribed stone "AND DN 1602 CD IB". Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets, parts having quatrefoil frieze. Mid C19 north aisle of 3-window range of 2-light Gothic windows with 2-stage buttresses between. Similar east and west windows. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square head windows, one blocked to south. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. West tower collapsed 1967. The base is now formed into a single storey vestry with a re-used ashlar coping with a corbel table below. C14 single-light window on west elevation. West wall of chancel above the vestry has datestone 1970 with flanking buttresses, glazed tower arch and bellcote at apex. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade. The south-east bay is an early C13 double chamfered arch with polygonal responds. The 2 south-west bays are probably late C13 double-chamfered arches with octagonal pier, separated from the south-east arcade by a section of wall. North arcade is mid C19 of double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Small early C19 double-chamfered arch with polygonal responds between chancel and south aisle. Double-chamfered tower arch now part glazed. Some original timbers may remain in the nave and south aisle roofs. C14 piscinas in chancel and south aisle. Perpendicular rood screen restored C19. Monuments: 2 early C19 marble tablets to Carwarden family in west wall of south aisle. C19 font. Ribbed and braced door. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.293).

Listing NGR: SP8715971679

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 293

National Grid Reference: SP 87159 71679

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 07:13:16.