List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COURTEENHALL HOUSE, STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSES, STABLES AND BARN

List entry Number: 1371591

Location

COURTEENHALL HOUSE, STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSES, STABLES AND BARN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityCourteenhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL

5/40 Courteenhall House, stable 23/08/55 block and attached coach houses, stable and barn (Formerly listed as Stable block)

GV II*

Stable block. Mid C18, altered C20. Limestone ashlar, hipped graded slate roofs. 2-storey, 15-window range. Central round-arched carriage arch with C20 double-leaf gates. Sash windows to ground floor with round-arched heads and moulded stone surrounds. Square first floor 6-pane sash windows with moulded stone surrounds. 3 central bays break forward and have attics with horizontal oval windows with moulded stone surrounds, moulded stone eaves and pyramidal roofs. That to left formerly housed dovecote. Quoins, string course at impost level of ground floor windows and bracketed stone cornice. 1-storey, 3-bay former coach houses flank yard to rear. Round-headed arches with imposts and plain limestone ashlar piers, coursed squared stone above and hipped graded slate roofs. 4th side of stable yard opposite a stable block is occupied by central barn flanked by lower single-storey 3-bay stable wings for working horses. Barn has tall central double-leaf doors to entrance end with blank round-arched head. Wings have central 6-panel doors with overlights and moulded stone surrounds flanked by stable windows with flat-arched stone heads. Plinth and moulded stone eaves. Linked to main block by stone walls with plinth and stone coping. Interior: converted into dwelling. Original open well staircase from ground floor to attic with Chinese Chippendale style fretwork balustrade. Round-headed stone niches to former stalls. Attributed to John Carr of York. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p166; Country Life: October 30th 1986, pp1388-1389)

Listing NGR: SP7609652966

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 166
'Country Life' in 30 October, (1986)
Other
Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 76096 52966

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:07:32.