List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1371587

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBlisworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 7254 BLISWORTH HIGH STREET (South side) 10/18 Church of St. John the Baptist 17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C14 and C15 with C13 origins, restored 1856 by E.F. Law. South aisle rebuilt 1926. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, slate and lead roofs. Chancel nave, north and south aisles, north porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window with unusual Decorated tracery, 3-light Perpendicular windows to north with four-centred heads, small blocked low-side window to north-west with cusped head and cut spandrels, similar Perpendicular window to south-west and two 2-light C13 windows to south that furthest east with trefoil-in-circle to head, the other with Y tracery; all have hood moulds. Another blocked low-side window to south-west with double-chamfered stone surround. Chancel has offset diagonal buttresses and offset buttresses between bays, and plain stone-coped parapet. Nave has 3-bay clerestory with 2-light Perpendicular windows and hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Large 1-light window to south-west end of nave formerly traceried. South aisle stops short of south-west bay of nave and has large 5-light window to south-east under gable with straight head, and 3-light window to south with 4-centred head; both have hood moulds. Moulded and double-hollow-chamfered south door with hood mould. North aisle has 3-light east window with straight head, wide 1-light windows to north-east and 2-light window to south-west, all with 4-centred heads and 2-light window to west with chamfered stone mullion and straight head; all have hood moulds. Double hollow-chamfered and moulded north door in porch with datestone inscribed AD1607/WB CM above hollow-chamfered doorway and 1-light windows either side with cusped heads; hood moulds to doors and windows. 3-stage west tower is banded with ironstone to lowest stage and has 2-light C19 Decorated-style west window, small 1-light window above and to south, clock face in circular stone surround to north and 2-light bell-chamber openings with cusped heads to lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds; off-set angle buttresses and battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has hollow-chamfered piscina with projecting bowl on shaft. Double-chamfered chancel arch, continuous outermost, polygonal responds and moulded capitals innermost. Nave has 3-bay arcade to south with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, that to west with quatrefoil and trefoil frieze, and double-chamfered arches to polygonal responds. Similar 5-bay arcade to north with chamfered bases. Plain tub font attached to west pier of north arcade. Tall C15 rood screen with 1-light divisions. C17 communion rail. Charity board and another board formerly in tower commemorating a ring on 31st December 1790 and signed 'Rd Dunckley Clerk May 12 1791'. Royal Arms of George III, oil on board. Some medieval stain-glass to heads of lights of north chancel window, other C14 and C15 fragments to south chancel window. Stain-glass south-west chancel window dated 1851. Late C19 stain glass to and north-east chancel windows. Coloured glass to heads of clerestory windows and east window of north aisle. Old crown glass panes to other windows, one inscribed God Save the King/for Ever 1798. Monuments. Brass on chest tomb to Roger Wake, d.1504 and his wife Elizabeth. Wide ogee-arched tomb recess adjacent. Stone wall monument to Margaret Blackey wife of Lional Blackey, d.1673 who 'lived a Maide:18/yeares:a wife 20 and a wid/ow 61'. Stone wall monument to Rebecca wife of Reverend Jonothan Yates, whose inscription records she was the 'wife of my right hand and/ioy fortie and foure yeares/ten monthes and one week'. Wall monument, oil on board, to Robert Watson, schoolmaster, d.1794 and signed Richard Dunkley. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p108)

Listing NGR: SP7252953410

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 108

National Grid Reference: SP 72529 53410

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 07:17:10.