List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1371529

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityWhittlebury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234626

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITTLEBURY CHURCH WAY SP64SE (West side) 7/116 Church of St. Mary 17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, restored 1870 by J.P. St. Aubyn at expense of Sir Reginald Loder of Whittlebury Lodge, tower raised 1887. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, plain tile roofs. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with geometrical tracery, 2-light Decorated style windows to south, all with hood moulds. Vestry and organ chamber to north with 3-light Decorated window to north with hood mould, hollow-chamfered door to north-west and 3-light straight-headed window to organ chamber. North aisle has tall 4-light arch mullion window to north-east of ironstone, with cut spandrels and hood mould, a stone inscribed 'GW' to left of head, another to right inscribed 'IR 1775', a buttress to middle of north wall, blocked chamfered north door with hood mould and 2-light window to north-west with Y-tracery of ironstone and hood mould with label stops, datestone inscribed '1638' to north-west corner and rose window of 1870 to west with hood mould, tall plain stone-coped parapet and chamfered plinth to north-east bay. South aisle has 2-light Decorated style windows to south and one-light window to east with quatrefoil in head with hood mould. South door has sunk-quadrant moulded arch and hood mould in south porch with double sunk-quadrant moulded arch with hood mould. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door with hood mould, 1-light windows to middle stage recessed in chamfered surround, stone clock face to middle stage. South inscribed 'Thomas Cooke, 1808', 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and hood moulds, diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet. Chancel, south aisle and porch have stone chamfered eaves and stone-coped gables. Interior: chancel has encaustic tiled floors and elaborate marble reredos with 3 mosaic panels above altar, piscina with 2 pointed trefoil arches and corner colonette in splay of south-east window and fine C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers and polygonal responds except for semi-circular respond with shaft, to south-west, plain moulded capitals, and double-chafmered arches. Fine C19 crown-post roof. Tower arch has chamfered jambs, moulded imposts, arch chamfered to head with nailhead and beaded fillet surround and outer arch with similar ornament; nutmeg frieze higher up on west wall. Floor of south porch of slate laid edgewise in square blocks, in alternating directions. Parish chest of c.1300 with fine ironwork. C19 stained glass windows in north-east and south-east aisle windows and east and south-east chancel windows. Cl9 marble wall monuments including large monument to Charlotte Bradshaw d.1820 by Chatney.

(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.460-1 Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6896044230

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 460-1

National Grid Reference: SP 68960 44230

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 09:29:02.