List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1371508

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityHelmdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HELMDON CHURCH STREET SP54SE, SP5843 (East side) 5/7 14/7 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 04/02/69 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary Magdelen)

GV II*

Church. C14. West tower rebuilt 1823, restored 1841, and 1876 by E.F. Law. Coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs except for chancel - slate, and porches - plain tile. Chancel, north chancel vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles and porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east window with intersecting tracery, 2-light north window with ogee-arched head and reticulated tracery and remains of piscina with cusped head incorporated in wall beside east door to C19 vestry, a 3-light south-east window similar to that to north, and one-light south-west low side window with ogee head and trefoil. Nave has clerestory with 4 2-light windows to north and 3 to south with 4-centred heads. North aisle has C19 east extension overlapping chancel and 2-light Decorated windows throughout. North door has simple pointed arch. North porch has hollow-chamfered doorway with 4-centred head, cut spandrels, small blocked one-light window above and rectangular windows north and south with chamfered surrounds and ironstone infill with cross ventilation slits. South aisle has 2-light Decorated south and east windows with cusped Y-tracery and 2-light arch mullion window to west. South porch similar to north with blank arch above door inscribed JHP/JH/CHWDS/AD/1841. 3-stage west tower has west door with 4-centred head and 2-light arch-mullion window above. Datestone to middle stage west side inscibed REBUILT/1823. 2-light bell openings with cusped Y-tracery. Diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapets and corner pinnacles. Church has chamfered plinth, string course, stepped to chancel, plain stone-coped parapets to aisles and clerestory, and stone-coped gables to chancel and porches. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. All windows and doors except for small side windows of porches have hood moulds, some with carved label stops. Interior: chancel has stepped string course, C19 stone reredos with painted angels and fine 3-bay sedilia and piscina with ogee cusped heads, crocketted hood moulds and pinnacles; chamfered priest's door to north with ogee head and hood mould. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch on polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, capitals, and double-chamfered archs. C19 roofs throughout except for moulded ties and purlins of nave roof, possible C15. Medieval stained glass fragments in heads of aisle windows ad canopy heads in south-east chancel windows, including figure of mason in north-east aisle window. Tomb recess with Purbeck marble tomb slab with foliated cross. C17 communion table in south aisle. Complete set of C19 pitch pine furnishings, (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.253; Kelly's Directory for Northants, 1928)

Listing NGR: SP5901143186

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 253
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

National Grid Reference: SP 59011 43186

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 11:50:10.