List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARSTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1371491

Location

MARSTON HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityMarston St. Lawrence

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSTON ST. LAWRENCE HIGH STREET SP54SW (East side) 7/152 Marston House 11/09/53 - II*

Country House. C16-C17, incorporating medieval work. Remodelled c.1730, C19 additions. Squared coursed ironstone and limestone, stone slate roof, stone stacks. Garden front U-plan, irregular rear and sides. Garden front to south, 2 storeys with attic, 5 bays. Central doorway has Gibbs surround with triangular pediment and 6-panel door. 2 windows on each side with plain stone frames and 8-pane sashes. Similar windows first floor, straight moulded stone parapet, 2 gabled attic dormers. Gabled roof with central stack. Projecting wings on each side separately roofed, 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays, have 8 pane sash windows in plain stone frames, straight moulded stone parapets, gabled attic dormers, hipped roofs. C19 extension to right, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays has 8 pane sash windows with stone lintels. Entrance front on north has projecting 2 storey centre block of 3 irregular bays with hipped roof. Doorway with eared architrave, scroll pediment on brackets and 6-panel door with fanlight. Sash window on either side with plain stone frames. Similar windows on first floor. Left of central projection on first floor are 2 late C17 two-light windows with wood mullions and transoms and leaded panes. To right of centre, one bay block containing staircase has 2 one-light windows with leaded panes on ground floor, large sash window with arched head above, and hipped roof. West (right) side is said to have 2 blocked stone mullioned windows, obscured by foliage at time of survey. Wing projecting left of entrance front: 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays, with sash windows. Interior: Central block, former medieval hall, has C14 arch-braced timber roof. Smoking Room on ground floor has early C17 panelling. Elaborately carved overmantel with date 1611 has 4 half columns decorated with bosses and strapwork, framing arched centrepiece with heraldic shield, strapwork and carved head. Square side panels with grotesque heads in strapwork frames. Walls have fluted pilasters of composite order and carved frieze of rosettes and bosses. Blocked doorway with carved wooden pediment in wall to right of entrance. Study has fireplace with projecting wall above it supported on 2 stone Doric columns. Fireplace has early C18 stone bolection moulded surround. C14 stone head corbels reset around study walls. Drawing Room fireplace c.1750 (brought from elsewhere), wood and terracotta, has eared architrave and frieze with swags of flowers in relief. Early C18 open-well staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread and tread ends carved with acanthus scrolls. The newel posts are fluted Doric columns. First floor room has panelling of c.1600 with frieze of acanthus scrolls. Stone fireplace with 4-centred arch and carved wooden overmantel with blind arcading, strapwork and crest. Early C18 bolection panelling in bedrooms and first floor corridor which has C16-C17 stained glass shields with coats of arms of Blencowe family in the windows. The gardens were landscaped in the C18 and have a chain of 5 lakes. In a garden wall west of the house is a re-set stone dated 1569. The house belonged to the Blencowe family from the C16 until c.1955. A west wing was burnt down c.1920. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.302-2; Robert Taylor (R.C.H.M.) pers. comm.).

Listing NGR: SP5368342180

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 302

National Grid Reference: SP 53683 42180

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 03:37:04.