List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1371383

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BOTHAL VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityAshington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235945

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE NZ 2386 (East side)

7/75 Church of St. Andrew

GV I



Parish Church. Nave walls of uncertain date; north aisle, south-east chapel and chancel early C13; chapel extended into full aisle C14; refenestration of aisle, clerestorey and roofs probably c.1398 when Holgrave Chantry founded. Restoration with rebuilding of east end and addition of south porch, 1887. Squared stone of varying types; flat lead roofs on nave and aisles, stone slates on porch, red tiles on chancel. South aisle has stepped buttresses and 4 windows, each of 2 trefoiled-headed lights with panel tracery under square head and hoodmould; old boarded and studded south door with C hinges, in moulded arch, within gabled porch with double-chamfered outer arch; 3-light east window under pointed arch. North aisle has similar fenestration, except that westernmost window is C19 copy; round-arched door with continuous roll moulding, its head cut in 2 megalithic blocks. Clerestorey of 4 small trefoiled ogee lights on north and south; moulded parapets, low-pitched roof. West end with 3 buttresses and 2 small ogee lights; broad central buttress carries heavy bell cote, perhaps post-medieval, with 3 openings; one of lower pair re-uses head of C14 2-light window; pyramid cap.

4-bay chancel with chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses; lancet windows, the stepped eastern triplet with sill string and linked hoodmould. Trefoiled low- side window on south, and renewed trefoiled priest's door with nailhead; north door with triangular monolithic head is probably C16/17 insertion. Coped east gable with vesica light and St. Andrew's Cross finial. High-pitched C19 roof externally.

Interior; 4-bay north arcade with steeply-pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal columns with holdwater bases and moulded capitals, and triple-shafted responds with stiff-leaf foliage; variously-carved stops to arch chamfers and hoodmoulds. 3-bay south arcade with wider double-chamfered arches on rectangular sections of walling chamfered at angles to form piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal re-sponds, asymmetric as south respond has been re-set at least once. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle; north aisle has trefoiled recess on north and recess for rood stair at north-east corner. Small squint on south of chancel arch, alongside corbel with nail-head and Bertram orle.

Chancel plastered, with chamfered sill string; eastern lancets with shafted jambs. Triple sedilia and round-arched piscina with filleted roll moulding and carved brackets. Recss adjacentto low-side shows remains of wall painting and lintel of earlier squint with stiff-leaf foliage.

C15 low-pitched roofs throughout, with arch braces and wall posts on stone corbels; bosses with angels holding shields. Remains of contemporary glass in aisle windows include Annunciation, Coronation of the Virgin and Holgrave arms. Octagonal C14 or C15 font. Section of Pre-Conquest cross in north wall of chancel; various C12/13 architectural fragments re-set as screen to vestry at west end of north aisle; 2 medieval cross slabs in floor of north aisle; and others re-used in fabric. Alabaster table tomb with effigies of Ralph Lord Ogle (d.1512)find Margaret his wife, in south aisle. 1612 wall tablet in north aisle. Jacobean altar rails. Late C19 panelled dado and stalls in chancel; chancel glass of same date includes Sharp memorial window at east end.

'Bothal Observed' R. Bibby, 227-284. Frank Graham, 1973.

Listing NGR: NZ2398586621

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bibby, R - Title: Bothal Observed - Date: 1973 - Page References: 227-284

National Grid Reference: NZ 23989 86621

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 06:54:25.