List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1370125

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireBassetlawDistrict AuthorityClarborough and Welham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241470

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 78 SW CLARBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (east side)

4/4 Church of St.John 1.2.67 the Baptist G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1874 by James Fowler. Dressed stone and coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths, string courses, moulded parapets, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Two stage west tower has a pair of diagonal buttresses, eaves band, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. West front has C19 double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4 C13 cusped double lancet bell openings with chamfered reveals and hood moulds. 3 bay nave has single gargoyles to north, gabled chimney on north east corner and to south, 3 gargoyles. 4 bay north aisle has 5 buttresses, 3 setoffs. To west, single C19 cusped ogee head double lancet in square headed moulded opening. North side has 4 similar lancets, C15, with tracery restored. The easternmost is smaller. To east again, C19 pointed doorway in square reveal with hood mould. 2 bay chancel has pair of diagonal buttresses to east and single buttress to south, all 3 setoffs. East end has C15 quadruple lancet with cusped heads, coved and chamfered reveal and hood mould. South side has to west, single C15 double lancet with cusped ogee heads, square reveal and hood mould. To east, single C16 triple lancet with cusped heads, elliptical opening and splayed reveal. 3 bay south aisle has 3 buttresses with 4 or 5 setoffs and above, 3 gargoyles. South side has 2 C15 cusped ogee headed double lancets in square headed reveal with hood mould. Similar east and west windows. Single bay south porch has a pair of corner buttresses of 2 setoffs. Single cusped lancet on each side with square head and hood mould. Moulded doorway with hood mould with mask stops. Inner doorway has moulded C14 opening with hood mould and 2 miniature gabled buttresses. Tower arch, C14, restored C19, has double chamfer and rebate, moulded imposts and hood mould with foliate stops. Tower chamber has to north large marble and slate Classical C18 memorial with female figure and draped urn and missing inscription panel. Attributed to the Fishers of York. Nave arcade, C13, has 2 round piers with water holding bases and moulded octagonal caps. Double chamfered and rebated arches with keeled responds. South arcade, C14, has 2 octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches and half pier responds. Low pitched roof with corbels carrying curved brackets to tie beams, foliate bosses and moulded principal timbers. North aisle has 4 centred arched opening to vestry at east end. Vestry has single Tudor arched door. C19 lean-to roof on corbels. Chancel arch, C19 in C14 style, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal imposts and hood mould with foliate stops. Chancel has to north organ opening and doorway. To east, panelled timber reredos and window with stained glass by Kempe, 1900. C19 principal rafter roof with curved brackets on corbels. South aisle has C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include C19 traceried panelled octagonal stone pulpit, plain timber lectern, octagonal font with 4 traceried panels on bowl and wooden lid. Plain deal pews, pierced and carved stalls and desks. Classical style war memorial, 1918, brass, 1752, 3 brasses C20.

Listing NGR: SK7346283281

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 73462 83279

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 11:35:55.