List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1370062

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CLIPSTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityKelmarsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELMARSH CLIPSTON ROAD SP77NW (South side) 6/60 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. C14, with C19 work, by J.K. Colling. Regular coursed lias and limestone wth lead and stone slated roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle and west tower. Nave and chancel: south elevation of 6-window range, 4 to left of 2 lights with pointed heads and 2 to right of 2 lights with square heads, all restored C19. Pitched roof with coursed corbels. North elevation of chancel of one bay projection beyond north aisle. C19 three-light east window. North aisle, 4-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads; that to left has transom with cusps. East window of north aisle of 3-lights with Carolean tracery of lozenges and circles. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet, that to far left has Jacobean decoration with obelisk at the corner, reputed to be of 1638. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from right. West tower, Perpendicular of 4 stages with clasping buttresses and 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of fourth stage. Ashlar broach spire with 2 stages of lucarnes. Iron railings attached to east of the chancel Interior: Chancel, c.1874 by J.K. Colling in High Victorian style with blind arcading to walls having panels of marble allegedly taken from buildings of ancient Rome. Marble floor, mosaic wall decoration by Powells, designed by Wooldridge. Nave has C19 four bay arcade of pointed arches with circular pink marble piers. C19 roofs, that in nave has large angel corbels. Stained glass: East window by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, 2 windows at south west end of nave by William Pepper, bellfry window also has stained glass. (Frontal and alter ring by Morris and Co.). Screen in west tower arch mid C20 incorporating late C16 and early C17 panels of Netherlandish and German origin depicting the storey of Esther. Monuments: Brass to Mary Osborne died 1534, headless. In north chapel, now vestry, Sir John Hanbury died 1639; two kneeling figures facing across a prayer desk, drapery above with open pediment over. To left William Hanbury died 1768, large inscribed marble panel with strigillated sarcophagus above. To left William Hanbury died 1807 by chantry, Grecian altar with drapery and 2 interlocked wreaths. Font: High Victorian style. Also known as Church of St. Dionysius. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.270).

Listing NGR: SP7352279220

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 270

National Grid Reference: SP 73522 79220

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 04:46:10.